• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is the Bottom Line? - osCommerce

NHWS

Hello - I am completely unfamiliar with osCommerce and would like to know what the secondary costs are.

Do I require a bank gateway which costs money in Australia?

Are there additional costs specific to osCommerce?

I understand that some commissions must be paid for credit card handling to Paypal and similar but are there over and above hidden costs that I might face.

I have been using Mals-e until now however I am being strongly recommended to try osCommerce.

Thanks for your feedback

Basically:

- You will need webhosting

- You should have SSL, so the cost of a SSL Certificate

- You can use PayPal for credit card payment too, you only pay commission on sales.

The biggest cost with oscommerce is your time in setting things up as you require them. Everything takes time. You have to add add ons to make the store do what you want. If you can read, cut copy and paste this is not that hard.

You have to add your products. Again it takes time to get this right, but once added, you do not have to do it again. Updating these items does not take too long.

The hosting costs and the SSL are not that huge, when you consider you will probably pay for these anually.

As you are starting on the ecommerce route, paypal could be an option, and these costs can be added to your markup.

There are no hidden costs that i can think of.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hello - I am completely unfamiliar with osCommerce and would like to know what the secondary costs are.

Click on the What's the cost link in my signature. That may answer some basic questions.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you get an SSL certificate, you usually have to also buy a dedicated IP address, which is extra cost.

osC has no licensing fees. The software itself is entirely free to obtain and use. No hidden fees or required advertising* there. This wasn't mentioned, but some people assume there must be licensing fees somewhere.

* You are required to keep the copyrights intact, which is a form of advertising for osC.

I know it's not the best option, but if you are on a shared server you could use the host's shared SSL.

At least it would help keep startup cost low.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Archived