• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Two OSC's per domain?

Hani1188

Hey I was wondering if you can have two osc's per domain? I currently have osc 2.2 ms2. I want to an install 2.3.1 with fantastico but keep my current install, on the same domain.. and then switch over once I have the 2.3.1 configured the way I want it and later delete the old one, it this possible?

@@Hani1188

yes, add the second installatio to a sub-directory such as /store or /shop. Then, once the new site is fully configured, you can move it to the root and replace your existing cart.

Chris

It's certainly possible to install a new osC in its own subdirectory, but you need to decide up front what to do about the database. It may be best to make sure the new installation has its own database, so as not to conflict with the old one. There are some minor differences between the old and new database layouts, so my understanding is that you cannot run both shops against the same database. When it comes time to cut over to the new installation, are you planning to move the old shop's data to it? Will you attempt to upgrade the old shop's database structure to 2.3.1 (keeping the old data in place) and then point the new shop to the old database? Or will you back up the old database, modify the .sql file by hand, empty the new one, and import (restore) the old data over the new database? You want to make sure that you don't lose any customer data from the last customers in the old shop, but don't take your store offline for any longer than necessary. Just some things to think about when upgrading to 2.3.1. You might also want to search around for instructions on upgrading from 2.2* to 2.3.1, just so you know what the differences are behind the scenes.

If you have existing customers and (quite important) search engine listings of your present shop, and are not planning to change to SEO, you may want to keep it in the same place (same paths). This would minimize a dropoff in business. Or, you can use 301 redirects to send visitors to the old paths to the new ones. If this is not a concern, and the old shop was mistakenly put into the site root, I would recommend that the new shop be kept in its own directory (/shop) and not in root (/). This permits future expansion as well as test/cutover installations of future versions. It's cleaner to have each major application in its own subtree, leaving the root uncluttered. Use a non-301 rewrite to automatically send visitors to the new shop address, or add a "landing page" with links.

Archived