• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

setting up authorize.net with SIM (no ssl right?)

GoTTi

my store will not have the SSL installed. so if i want to process the transactions, i need to use the SIM option correct?

by doing that, i need to set the settings on the store module settings as:

Login ID: is API Login ID: on authroize.net settings area

Transaction Key: the key i generate

the MD5 Hash...when i set this, i noticed the test or processing did not work right. i removed the md5 has that i created on authorize and placed in the module setting and i was able to do the test of a transaction using 411111111111111 12/17 card.

doing the test transaction, the page shows all wierd, but says Your Order Has Been Processed! and in the orders of the cart i see the order pending. but the page looks all jacked up and its on https://secure.authorize.net/gateway/transact.dll. there is a continue button, when clicked it brought me back to the index of the cart. the order is my orders as pending...

am i setting this up correctly? just want to make sure before i go live.

do i need to set a callback page or anything on the authorize.net settings side?

is there a way to process the card on the store without going to authorize.net side or is that the only option when doing it with SIM (no ssl)?

thanks

@@GoTTi

An SSL is recommended for EVERY ecommerce website. If you are using an online processor then their SSL will be active but only once the customer is sent to their site. All of the customer information entered onto YOUR website is vulnerable if you don't have an SSL.

Also, for as little as 35.00/yr your customers will be much more comfortable using your site will an SSL installed.

Chris

i tried before to get a SSL installed and working on a previous store with oscommerce and i couldnt get it to work properly. it was very frusterating. i dont remember what i had to do to get it to work before. is it a issue to get a SSL cert installed or is it pretty simple to install or activate and configure for the store?

@@GoTTi

An SSL is USUALLY installed by your hosting provider if you purchase it from them. If they install it, then you only need to change ONE file in osCommerce to use the SSL, the configure.php file. (possibly 2 files if you also want the admin protected by SSL as well).

If it is not installed for you, then there are approximetely 4 steps to installing it on your hosting account and activating it within osCommerce.

Bottom line is, for osCommerce to use the SSL there is a maximum of 2 files to edit.

Chris

hmm sounds easy. i know i racked my brain trynig to do it before...LONG time ago. and had no luck.

i am with hostgator. im sure they charge to install the ssl cert. ill have to look into it. if my client wants that option i will have them install it.

what good does it do also? what is the benefit of having the ssl installed or active on the store?

@@GoTTi

what good does it do also? what is the benefit of having the ssl installed or active on the store?

An SSL encrypts information that your customer sends/receives from the store such as their name, address, phone number and anything during the checkout process that might be considered sensitive information. The MOST VALUABLE information on your website is your customer database. Hackers love to sell mailing lists.

Chris

i see. well when i install the AIM module and put the settings in, and the site is not using a SSL, it seems to be processing the credit card payment fine without issue. am i going to run into problems with the store using it this way or should it work fine?

@@GoTTi

You are not REQUIRED to have an SSL to use the payment gateway, however your customers will feel much safer knowing their personal information is encrypted. I personally would not make a purchase on a website without an SSL and I know others on this website feel the same.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

i have enabled the shared ssl on my site to do some test and wanted to know if there is anything i am suppose to setup in the sandbox area of authorize.net? is there a call back address i put for Silent Post URL or anything else to have authorize.net send back information to the order? like maybe the transaction id or something of a order made that authorize records?

• 6 months later...

Hello GoTTi,

Did you solve the issue with the weird formatting?

I am testing the Authorize.Net CC SIM module in osCom 2.3 and I am getting weird formatting in the receipt page in IE and Chrome.

I can format the credit card info page, but I can't get the receipt page to look even semi-normal.

Please advise... thanks

Dave