• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change Domain

JoséQueiroga

simple redirect, if you have both domains on the same hosting (ie one parked) you should find a function in your cpanel to do it assuming a half decent host.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

simple redirect, if you have both domains on the same hosting (ie one parked) you should find a function in your cpanel to do it assuming a half decent host.

That's a good suggestion, but the problem is that I bought the first domain before register my store. And I had to register the brand with a different name. And know I don't want my site to to be www.oldname.com, but www.newname.pt. Is there any solution?

there is a perfect and simple way of doing it as i have done this for quite a few times for my clients. but if you are on shared hosting then you will have to ask you host to do it for you - hope they dont charge for it as i wont - its such an easy thing.

basically, whm has a function to let you do exactly that. it not only changes domain but also all email addresses to use the new domain and any domain related bits. what it cant do tho is the two configure.php files - one for admin, one for catelogue. you will have to edit them manually.

your host shoud know how unless they are purely business people in which case not a good one.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

there is a perfect and simple way of doing it as i have done this for quite a few times for my clients. but if you are on shared hosting then you will have to ask you host to do it for you - hope they dont charge for it as i wont - its such an easy thing.

basically, whm has a function to let you do exactly that. it not only changes domain but also all email addresses to use the new domain and any domain related bits. what it cant do tho is the two configure.php files - one for admin, one for catelogue. you will have to edit them manually.

your host shoud know how unless they are purely business people in which case not a good one.

Ken

The problem is that my host don't give me the possibility to register '.pt' domains.

But as I understand, if I buy a '.pt' at another host, i can transfer all the files to the new domain, and copy the entire databse. And if I manually edit the configure.php files, the store will work?

definitely a very bad host that one should run away asap and as faraway as possible. domain names are NOT the business of a host. domain names are the business of domain registrars who got the approval of domain control organisations such as Nominet in the UK that control all the .uk domain names. altho a host can also be a registrar if they got the approval but a good host should NOT ditate what domain names could be hosted unless the law says otherwise.

as far i am concerned, i dont care what domain you may have. i only care whether your website's contents violate the law or not.

Ken

ps

you could certainly change host and move the website over.

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

So you should be clear

You buy a domain name from a registrar and a decent registrar will then give you full control over that domain name and where it points (through nameserver settings)

The domain alone is not a site & does not facilitate the creation & storing of same, that is hosting.

Hosting is the provision of server space to store code & data for a website, by default a hosted website is only accessible though an ip address, but as entering ip addresses to access sites is not very friendly, you buy a domain from a registrar, then set the nameservers for that to point at the ip address of your hosting.

So your domain registrar can be a totally different company to your host.

With the better hosts, you order the hosting, they set it up, give you a temporary address to access it directly and the nameserver details for your domain to point at, you buy your domain (elsewhere perhaps) change nameservers & within 24Hours your domain and hosting are linked.

In your instance, if your host is no good, get your new domain, new hosting set up the site on that, then add a simple htaccess command on your old to point to the new like:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newsite.com/$1 R=301,L

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Hello people!

I also want to change address of my site but it will stay on the same domain. What i'm trying to do is to change the address from www.mysite.com to www.mysite.com/shop.

anybody knows quick solution for that?

regards

Archived