• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP Upgrade problems

Hi all,

I've had an email today from my website designer that says the hosting company we use are upgrading their servers from PHP5.2 to PHP 5.3 and that soon (very soon actually) my site will not function properly. It seems I should have been notified of this in January but they failed to do so and the upgrade is due to take place at midnight tonight, so I'm left a bit high and dry and need some advice urgently.

Can anyone please elaborate on what "will not function properly" means and if there are any short term fixes I could try e.g. moving to another host which still supports the old format. I appreciate the need to put a longer term strategy in place and happened to be working on this anyway. I've bought a beginners book on building n OScommerce website and am working my way through it, the plan was to build a "dummy" website (using the latest software versons) until I was confident enough for it to go live but obviously this latest development has thrown me a curveball.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks

Dave

If you've been running successfully on PHP 5.2, there should be little or no change needed to run on PHP 5.3. If you are running osC 2.3.1, I don't think any changes will be needed. If earlier versions, you might need to fix any use of "deprecated functions" such as ereg() calls (do a search on "ereg" on this forum). There also might be some "session" coding changes. Look around... there should be discussions on installing a mod (add-on) package to take care of that for you.

Did your hosting company give any specifics about what they expect won't work, based on looking at your code (e.g., scanning for "ereg" calls), or is this a general "wake up" call?

If you don't have time today to fix things, you can turn off warnings of deprecated functions in your php.ini file or with ini_set() in application_top.php files. Look around ("ereg") for how to do this or ask your host. This will buy you some time to do it right.

You haven't said which version of osC your using, 2.3 has no issues with 5.3 and 2.2 only has depreciated issues that can simply be circumvented by replacing:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

with:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED);

In includes/application_top.php and admin/includes/application_top.php

Have you looked at http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/373731-v22-rc2a-and-php-53/

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

@@DaiLemma

Personally, I don't suggest suppressing the errors. It doesn't take very long to correct the deprecated functions and suppressing only gives the illusion that the site is operating properly.

Chris

I wasn't suggesting Dave ignored the problems, but he asked for a short term fix, which that is. ;) You don't know how many add-ons may have depreciated calls.

You could also install LAMP, WAMP or XAMP, copy your site there & see all the issues ahead of time.

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I recently went through the same - following the tips in the thread chris posted above covered 90% of the changes to my site - and I posted the changes I had to make to contribution files in a new thread.

Its not too hard to make the changes.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Archived