• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ADDON - CSV Shipping Module

Fourpaws

This is the Support tread for the CSV Shipping Module:

This is a Shipping module driven by CSV. The shop owner can create their own CSV file and not be limited to one shipper, thus offering their customers a better / fairer shipping rate.

The rate is driven by the postal code and the CSV file can contain as many different rates as you have postal codes.

There is the ability to set the price level at which point the shipping become free and also who the shipper is.

There is a rate estimator on the Shopping Cart page plus how much more to spend to qualify for free shipping.

It carries the correct shipping rate through the checkout process.

There is no weight option.

All credit for putting this together for me must go to Gary (Burt on the forums). I hope others find it as useful as I do.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I have downloaded this add-on but haven't installed it yet. Before I do, I have a question...

Will this work with Canadian postal codes instead of U.S. zip codes? We use a combination of letters and numbers (e.g. V9R 6S5) instead of numbers.

Also, can the code be modified so that it sets the cost based on the first three characters of the postal code (e.g. "V9R") as this generally designates the city (the last three characters designate the suburb, block, side of street, etc.)? Or, better yet, could it be modified to work off of the geo_zone_name field (i.e. city) instead?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Regards,

Chris

Burt:

Thanks for the reply!

It can be made to work with anything you want, by any competent coder.

How 'bout an incompetent coder like me? (GRIN!)

Out of the box it works with any full postcode.

Okay, thanks for that info. I'll take a look at the code and see if I'm able to grasp what's going on enough to attempt a modification.

Thanks, again, for your help!

Regards,

Chris

A quick update...

I have looked at the code and it's waaaaaaay beyond my capability to do any modifications myself. So, I did a bit of testing and discovered that using alphanumeric postal codes does indeed work, but with one caveat... the customer's address book postal code must match the postal code in shipping csv EXACTLY, including case, presence (or no presence) of the space (e.g. "V9R 5S6" v.s. "V9R5S6") and so forth.

I looked in the contributions section of the site for a field validation add-on (to force customers to properly format the postal code when using the address book or setting up their account), but everything appears to be more related to spam and hacker prevention and format validation.

Does anyone know of something that might be useful in solving this?

Thanks, again, for any suggestions/tips provided!

Regards,

Chris

I spoke too soon... I did a bit more searching in the contributions section and found this add-on for OSC 2.3.1:

World Postal / Zip / Post Code Validations v1.0

I haven't installed it (yet), but it looks like it will fill my need. Just mentioning it here in case someone else is looking.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chrison

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Burt!

Sorry that I missed replying to your suggestion... Opps! :( I did install the validation addon I pointed to above, and it does work. IMHO, that's a better solution for my problem as it forces users to enter the postal code in the proper format (i.e. as approved by Canada Post) in the first place, instead of mucking with "fixing" improperly entered postal codes.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It might be helpful to someone else.

Again, thanks for the wonderful add-on! It's now working great! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Chris

• 6 months later...

@@Chrison I have friends who live in Nanaimo.... small world.... I am from Ireland...... anyway.

I am trying to get this to work with British Postcodes... can you tell me how you managed to get your site to do this as your postcodes seem similar to the British system? I downloaded the postcodes for the Uk and it ended up being almost 100meg csv..... how did you managed to do this without ending up with a huge csv file...

@@Chrison I have friends who live in Nanaimo.... small world.... I am from Ireland...... anyway.

I am trying to get this to work with British Postcodes... can you tell me how you managed to get your site to do this as your postcodes seem similar to the British system? I downloaded the postcodes for the Uk and it ended up being almost 100meg csv..... how did you managed to do this without ending up with a huge csv file...

Yes, it IS a small world! Nanaimo is a lovely city. I'm sure your friends who live here love it!

Anyway, I'm sorry but I can't help you with your question. I only serve a small, local area, so I have created a CSV file with only the local postal codes. I can see how if you're going to do it for a whole country the CSV file would be huge and unmanageable.

One thing you might want to check is whether your post office has functionality for looking-up postal codes and calculating shipping costs that could be incorporated into your site? I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but perhaps that might save you some time?

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Regards,

Chris