• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

making products_model longer in the database

longhorn1999

Hi,

I have a pretty basic question about phpMyAdmin and the products_model field.

How exactly do I modify this to make it longer? Standard osC sets it at 11 or 12 characters or so. I see it when you click on products in phpMyAdmin, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Also, how long could I make this field theoretically? 30, 40 characters? I suppose the real limit might depend on how your product pages are laid out.

And if I change this, are there any hidden side effects that anyone knows of? Might this cause some random add-on to start acting strangely?

Thanks

Hi Nick.

To change product code length to 30

Two database tables need to be modified when changing the length of the product model field: osc_products, and osc_orders_products.

ALTER TABLE `products` CHANGE `products_model` `products_model` VARCHAR( 30 ) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NULL DEFAULT NULL

ALTER TABLE `orders_products` CHANGE `products_model` `products_model` VARCHAR( 30 ) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NULL DEFAULT NULL

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken.

I forgot to mention that I'm using osc v2.2. This should be the same though, right?

Also, is there any functional limit to how long I could make this? I'm guessing that there are not potential side effects of enlarging this field...

Archived