• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hi,

Setting up my online shop with OSC 2.3, using the standard layout ... here...

I've some questions on which I first searched for answers, got a few, but they didn't work, maybe due they were for older versions, i.e. to change the width of the boxes it is advised to change the value in define('BOX_WIDTH', 125); in includes/application_top.php, however that definition doesn't exist in that php file.

I've still a lot to do, but maybe you can help me with these three questions:

1. The width of the boxes on the left and right should become wider;

2. I like to get some more space at the top to place there a bigger logo.

3. The color of the lightblue titel fields of the boxes should be changed.

How / where can I these changes?

Kind regards,

Gunivortus

All of your questions have been answered before. Try to search for an answer.

1. To alter the width of the boxes find the following code in your includes/classses/osc_template.php

class oscTemplate {

Alter the widths of the boxes below this remembering that all the totals must add up to 24.

2.To increase the height of the header look in your stylesheet.css for

#header {

and alter the height to what you require

3. The box headers are images and are found in your ext/jqueryt/ui/redmond/images folder and the corresponding stylesheet in the folder below.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thank you very much for the reply!

Yes, things may have been asked and answered before, but I didn't find the right answers. :-)

Your hints to my questions 2 and 3 did it. Great!

The answer on question 1 didn't work well:

The entry in the osc_template.php is:

class oscTemplate {

var $_title;

var $_blocks = array();

var $_grid_container_width = 24;

var $_grid_content_width = 16;

var $_grid_column_width = 4;

I did try to change the second and the third, but then the layout was destroyed, i.e. suddenly all boxes were indeed a little bit wider, but all right boxes were placed on the left. Didn't really understand what you meant with "all the totals must add up to 24".

Kind regards,

Gunivortus

Thanks for the reply, but I still don't see the relation with my question to get the boxes on the left and right a bit wider. The send and the third valu aren't 24 together.

But OK, I'm not a coder, hardly understand anything from php.

As for my question to get the boxes wider, I left the 24 value unchanged, changed the two others, but that didn't it, it made a mass of the layout, so I'd to set the original values back.

But how can I get the boxes wider without destroying the layout?

Its so easy to do.

var $_grid_content_width = 16;

var $_grid_column_width = 4;

The 960 gris system is built using 24 what evers so you cannoot alter this total.

The page is made up from a centre column which in this case is 16 what evers wide and two columns, one on the left and one on the right. These are 4 what evers wide.

So 16 +4+4 =24

To make both the colums wider try

5+5+14+24

So change the code too

var $_grid_content_width = 14;

var $_grid_column_width = 5;

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

... grin..... I meant something else.....

16 +4+4 =24

5+5+14+24

The 960 gris system is built using 24

var $_grid_

I don't understand the meaning of it in the coding.... I don't know what var means, what gris and grid means......

I'm 64 years old, do know a little bit of html (if a WYSIWYG tool is available), but php is something I don't understand. So I try slowly setting up my shop, seeking both help and step-by-step instructions for 'dummies' where it isn't nessesary to understand the coding language. I tried a php book for beginners, but simply didn't understand the logical structure and terms.

Nevertheless, I'll mange... my new shop will get ready, 'though it may cost me some months.... I'm retired, I've time. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Gunivortus,

The changes you made to the osc_template.php page works like this. For the 960gs coding to work properly the total of the var $_grid_container_width = 24; must be equal to var $_grid_column_width = ?; X2 (as this represents the columns on the left & right side's of your page regardless of whether or not you're using columns on both), plus the total width of the content section var $_grid_content_width = ?; so that when you use this formula the totals must work out to 24 i.e.

var $_grid_content_width = 20;

var $_grid_column_width = 2; (2 X 2 = 4 + 20 = 24)

or

var $_grid_content_width = 10;

var $_grid_column_width = 7; (7 X 2 = 14 + 10 = 24)

etc, hope this helps out in explaining it for you...

Cheers,

DougB

see links in signature below, and there are lots of links within those links..."multimixer" has a mini template system for a small fee considering what he offers...so do some others like Dunn, and Burt, and ....may be worth the $ if you don't have time and patience

Web Developer, Firebug, and Notepad++ are powerful free tools for web design.

Archived