• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ship In Cart

@@raiwa  Rainer I added the new version and all seems to be okay.  Well done! 

As I was playing around with it I pulled up a zone that only had one shipping option (I was logged in) and in order to have the estimate added to the totals I needed to select it.   I can see customers overlooking that and being surprised that the total changed when they actually checked out....I don't know if it is possible but it would be nice, when there is only one shipping option to have it selected by default and have the total updated automatically.   Thought I'd pass the idea along to you while I think of it. 

Many thanks for the excellent contribution and support. :thumbsup:

Dan

As I was updating to the latest version I got to thinking that it would be nice if the shopping cart was modularized so that different designs and perhaps crossselling options etc could be developed and added in some sort of organized fashion.  The shopping cart is an important piece of real estate and I think there is a lot of opportunity to use it in a more effective way.   See the thread I started here a little while ago.   I'm wondering if you @@raiwa, Lambros @@Tsimi and anyone else who might like to join in have an interest in modularizing the shopping cart and your respective contributions so they will play nicely together and are easy to add to the shopping along with other components as they might be developed in the future.  A community effort if you will.   Would you two have an interest in that?  I would be happy to act as the team leader to drive this forward if you wish.

I'm attaching an image I found that sort of captures what I'm thinking about, at a very basic level. 

post-182953-0-52582200-1459736065_thumb.jpg

Dan

The idea is good, not new to me though.

Tried once and failed misarabely.

But raiwa created that shipping estimator which is great since it re-calculates the total when adding discounts or shipping.

I have to currently finish up someones store first and then solve the tax issue on the disount addon before I can move on to new projects. Once I have finished those I am all yours. :D

@@Dan Cole  I wrote a cross-sell module for the cart once. It'll need some cleanup and updating to the latest version, which shouldn't take me too much work. I'll contribute that to the effort if you want it.

I'm all in favor of making osCommerce more modular.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hello Dan @@Dan Cole, Thank You,

As I was playing around with it I pulled up a zone that only had one shipping option (I was logged in) and in order to have the estimate added to the totals I needed to select it.   I can see customers overlooking that and being surprised that the total changed when they actually checked out....I don't know if it is possible but it would be nice, when there is only one shipping option to have it selected by default and have the total updated automatically.   Thought I'd pass the idea along to you while I think of it. 

Can you please try this mod:

if ( tep_not_null($module) && sizeof($quotes) > 1 && tep_not_null($shipping_modules->quote($method, $module)) ) {

It fixes also another issue:

Imagine you have changed the shipping selection to a module which is not the cheapest. Then you change the address or country or zone. WIth this mod the selected module will keep selected if available for the new address, country or zone.

Before the selection was reset to the cheapest.

rgds

Rainer

Edited by raiwa

@@Tsimi @@kymation That is excellent guys...I'll start up a new thread so we can get out of Rainer hair.   Hopefully he'll join us too.

Dan

if ( tep_not_null($module) && sizeof($quotes) > 1 && tep_not_null($shipping_modules->quote($method, $module)) ) {

@@raiwa Iit seems to work in part.   I added it to line 252....line 256 was in the middle of the function on the version I have in place.   It seems to be selecting the shipping method when there in only one now but it is not selecting the cheapest/default method when you have multiple choices.  It seems to keep the selection if available as you described...it just doesn't select a default/cheapest method when you first visit the choices.

Dan

@@Tsimi,

I had a deeper look in the ot_dicount.php and found (at least I think so) a universal solution.

Please give it a try:

See here a wirde example with partial product discount (first 2 products) and different tax rates.

I also checked with show tax set to true and order_subtotal, categories and manufacturer based discounts.

It for sure needs some more hardcore testing.

rgds

Rainer

Edited by raiwa

@@Dan Cole,

It keeps the selection during session which seems correct to me. If you delete the session it will again select the cheapest method on first time load.

For any case my updated version:

@@Tsimi @@kymation That is excellent guys...I'll start up a new thread so we can get out of Rainer hair. Hopefully he'll join us too.

Dan

I will :) Edited by raiwa

@@raiwa  I'm off to give it a try.  Will report back shortly.

Regarding your participation in the Modular Shopping Cart.  That is awesome. :thumbsup:

Dan

@@raiwa  Rainer I took your file....added the line back....it still needed to be on line 252 and it does the same thing....when logged in it will work when there is just one option....it comes up selected and the cost is added to the order total....all good so far but if I then go to a zone with multiple shipping methods none are selected by default....if it helps I can give you a user name and password to try so you can see exactly what it does on our test site.  Not sure if I'm explaining it well enough.  As it turns out I'm not unhappy with the way it works....forcing the customer to select when there are choices is not a bad thing IMO. 

Dan

Hello Dan @@Dan Cole,

Sorry, uploaded the wrong version.

Here is the good one (I believe o:) )

@@raiwa  Rainer I took your file....added the line back....it still needed to be on line 252 and it does the same thing....when logged in it will work when there is just one option....it comes up selected and the cost is added to the order total....all good so far but if I then go to a zone with multiple shipping methods none are selected by default....if it helps I can give you a user name and password to try so you can see exactly what it does on our test site.  Not sure if I'm explaining it well enough.  As it turns out I'm not unhappy with the way it works....forcing the customer to select when there are choices is not a bad thing IMO. 

Dan

@@Dan Cole,

Sorry I can't recreate it, or I'm missing something.

I checked again on your teststore, several of my teststores and I get always the cheapest methd selected on first load.

Can you please check on my test store:

http://www.sarplataygemas.com/osCommerce234bs/index.php

regards

Rainer

Edited by raiwa

@@raiwa  It seems to just happen when you login and switch between zones that have only shipping option to another zones that has multiple options.   I'll PM you a login and password in case you want to see it on my test site where you can bounce between a US address and a Canadian Address and see what I mean.  Otherwise don't worry about it...it's not really a big issue.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

@@Dan Cole,

Sorry I can't recreate it, or I'm missing something.

I checked again on your teststore, several of my teststores and I get always the cheapest methd selected on first load.

Can you please check on my test store:

http://www.sarplataygemas.com/osCommerce234bs/index.php

regards

Rainer

Hi

i just installed the latest version onto my BS Edge store and while the price is showing up on the shopping cart page, nothing else seems to be showing.

Do you know what it could be?

Install was easy, but for some reason, nothing showing up in shopping cart when products are added. Can't see the options like on your test site.

@@vampirehunter,

did yo apply the mod in shopping_cart.php ??

hi yes

added the code in. followed instructions exactly.

Update: i think i know what it is. For some reason, UK country is not even in the zone i created.

I have done it and it is showing now.

Its now working.

post-214618-0-53607600-1460638439_thumb.jpg

Edited by vampirehunter

@@vampirehunter,

could you please pm your store url.

Meanwhile: you do have shipping modules installed and they are showing in checkout shipping, yes you have?

Hi, solved it,

Its Working fine. UK country wasn't even in my tax zone for UK for some reason. I have been updating the site, so I must have removed it by mistake or something else, but its working perfect.

Now working perfect. thanks

Edited by vampirehunter

New version uploaded:

Ship In Cart BS reloaded v3.0

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9467

For: OsCommerce 2.3.4 Bootstrap, all versions

Changes:
This version is updated to fit in Modular Shopping Cart BS:
http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9466

It is separated now in 2 modules:
Estimated Shipping and Estimated Order Totals

Mark I was involved in the Modular Shopping Cart development so I might be able to help....what width settings are you using for the checkout buttons and the basic subtotal module?

Dan

Edited by Dan Cole

Mark I was involved in the Modular Shopping Cart development so I might be able to help....what width settings are you using for the checkout buttons and the basic subtotal module?

Dan

@@Dan Cole

Hi, Sterling work by the way from all involved in this :thumbsup:

All other modules are set to 12