• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding a new product

AndrewRavenwood

I'm an OS Commerce newbie... We all have to start somewhere right?

I litterally spent an entire day yesterday going through the various online free shopping carts that are available and frankly I have to admit that there are some amazing solutions out there for free, however OS Commerce caught my eye because of it's paypal integration and the fact that I can customise the html to my own requirements (I also think it's going to be relatively foolproof for my clients).

On to the question:

When a shopowner creates new product options for example "fabric" you can add that to an existing product but when creating a new product you can only associate it with a manufacturer. I would expect that you would be able to add "fabric" to any new product in a "clothing" category.

So, am I missing something fundemental here? IS there a way to dictate what specific attributes are required when creating a product?

@@Chris - I Don't think I put my question across properly.

I understand that you can add these attributes after the product has been created which is fine, but what I would hope to do is have these same attributes show up when you create a brand new product under "categories/products". Unless I'm missing something the only option available when creating a new product is to add a manufacturer?

So the question is - Is it actually possible to get the attributes created by the shop owner to appear here alongside the manufacturer dropdown?

I guess if not, does anyone know of a module that achieves this?

There is a link on the OScommerce sight to search all contributions, so you might try that.

There is also a contribution called easy populate. basically you can download your products, select the attributes per product via a spreadsheet format and then upload it. So basically you can enter batch new products and then load batch attributes to save you time.

@@Chris - I Don't think I put my question across properly.

I understand that you can add these attributes after the product has been created which is fine, but what I would hope to do is have these same attributes show up when you create a brand new product under "categories/products". Unless I'm missing something the only option available when creating a new product is to add a manufacturer?

So the question is - Is it actually possible to get the attributes created by the shop owner to appear here alongside the manufacturer dropdown?

I guess if not, does anyone know of a module that achieves this?

In default oscommerce attributes is assigned to 1 and 1 product individually in the product attributes section in admin.

But there are several add-ons which can be used to make the process smoother....

Like Attribute Sets

or

Attribute copier

or

AJAX attribute manager

++++

Archived