• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cache control in admin

ggrant3

I am converting from 2.2rc2 to 2.3.1

I am doing this with a modified version of a current db and the new files in a "test231" folder of my current site.

And everything has gone smoothly so far, but as I was going through the setup (post install) steps I got to cache control. I was getting the messages:

Categories Box File does not exist

Manufacturers Box File does not exist

Also Purchased Module File does not exist

Cache Directory: /tmp/

So I created the "cache" folder in the catalog section (set the permissions to 777) of the test231 folder (the catalog section of my test site) and then went to configuration and set "Use Cache" to True. Then set the path for the folder/files. I set that to /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cache

I still got the File does not exist message so I did what the instructions said and created three blank files:

categories_box-english.cache

manufacturers_box-english.cache

also_purchased-english.cache

via notepad++ and uploaded them to the catalog/cache folder

Then I went back to admin>tools>cache control and I now error messages at the top of my page saying:

Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cachecategories_box-english.cache in /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/adminsection/cache.php on line 76

Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cachemanufacturers_box-english.cache in /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/adminsection/cache.php on line 76

Warning: filemtime() [function.filemtime]: stat failed for /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cachealso_purchased-english.cache in /home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/adminsection/cache.php on line 76

and it shows the three file names but their date created info is: 12/31/1969 17:00:00

What is wrong?

Should I start this part over? If so, how? I tried to delete the files from the catalog/cache folder and refresh the sections in the admin area but nothing changed. I guess I would have to go into the db to delete some entries/info but I don't know which table/value

Cache Directory:/home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cache

Change to:

Cache Directory:/home/content/myabsolutepath/html/test231/cache/

Wow, you've got to be kidding me. I can't believe I missed that.....well yeah on second thought I guess I can.

To be honest I was shocked I made it as far as I did with this upgrade without any others issues.

Thank you Bryce.

Could you explain what exactly this Cache control does or what the benefit of it is, I couldn't find any real description of its purpose.

So I created the "cache" folder in the catalog section (set the permissions to 777) of the test231 folder

Now, reset the cache folder permission to 755.

The cache control allows the store owner to save certain areas of the shopping cart to a cache folder. This allows for a performance increase when users are browsing the store as the database is not queried again until the cache has expired or has been reset by the store owner.

Archived