• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

cross linking between oscommerce and cms

Paul101`

Hi everyone

I am a quite new to oscommerce and am currently developing a site using version 2.3 on WAMP server. I have managed to get to grips with Themeroller for new theme and that was not as complicated as I first thought it might be.

One of the things that I would like to do is to have a number of pages that give information about the company, the services we offer, the benefit of these services etc.

I don't want to get into significant modification of oscommerce or start using lots of addons for reasons of site security. Therefore one possible solution I am looking at is to use a cms for the main site i.e. mysite.com and just modify the template to match the oscommerce template I am using and then use a sub domain to point to the oscommerce site such as mystore.mysite.com.

Sending customers from the cms to the store is pretty simple using href but is there a simple way to put a menu either in the header bar or side bar of oscommerce to enable users to navigate back to cms pages or at least put a button called HOME (with link back to the cms home page) on each product destription and category page?

Please note that it is not my intention to integrate oscommerce with a cms and they will both retain seperate databases etc. however they will both be located on the same server / hosting package.

Thanks for the reply guys

What I am looking for is a way to put a menu in the top bar that currently houses the breadcumbs. Create a home page that does not show catalogue items and a couple of other pages for content other than cataloge items. I have searched the documentation and been through all of the options in the admin panel but cannot see any settings to allow this.

I have also searched through available addons but again have not found anything that appears to do this.

Are there settings in the standard v2.3 that I have missed or are there specific addons that enable these functions?

If they are addons can any one tell me which ones they are and how secure they are?

Thanks

here may be an example of what you are looking to do. Do not mess with the store as it is not live yet and still being worked on.

The website is http://www.silverhorseflorist.com/ Currently if you click on the Store link you get a marker page, once the store is ready it will take you to http://www.silverhorseflorist.com/catalog

What I have done to osC is modified the catalog/includes/template_top.php and included the websites "header" section. Likewise I edited the template_bottom.php and included the websites footer.

This requiers hard coding of the files in osC, but is not too difficult. A simpler solution would be to edit the "breadcrumbs" and rename "Top" to something like "Home" and link that back to your main website. I will see if I can locate the breadcrumbs code for you. (it is removed from the site I am working on)

the breadcrumb bit is located in catalog/includes/application_top.php near the bottom of the file around line 448

code looks like this;

// include the breadcrumb class and start the breadcrumb trail
 require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
 $breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;
 $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
 $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

the way this works is

$breadcrumb -> add(link-text, the-href-link) if you are not defining these values elsware like the current ones are, I believe you would need to put them in single quotes. eg.

$breadcrumb->add('Home','http://www.example.com');

You could also add a "Home" button with the My Account, Checkout, and Cart Contents buttons.

Code is in catalog/includes/header.php starting on line 21

<div id="headerShortcuts">
<?php
 echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CART_CONTENTS . ($cart->count_contents() > 0 ? ' (' . $cart->count_contents() . ')' : ''), 'cart', tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART)) .
   tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_CHECKOUT, 'triangle-1-e', tep_href_link(FILENAME_CHECKOUT_SHIPPING, '', 'SSL')) .
   tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT, 'person', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL'));
 if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {
echo tep_draw_button(HEADER_TITLE_LOGOFF, null, tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL'));
 }
?>
 </div>

again the link is made with

tep_draw_button('button-text', 'triangle-1-e', 'href-link')

The value in the middle says what picture/icon to use. Somewhere is a list. I don't know though

Thanks nobodyfamous

The Silverhorseflorist site looks great and is pretty much where I was going with first post.

Can I ask a couple of newbie quesstions?

1 Did you use a cms for the site and if yes which one?

2 With the template for the oscommerce shop did you code out the bar and breadcrums in the header of oscommerce or just the breadcrumbs and then made the header bar the same color as the background?

3 How do you point the menu button "shop" to the oscommerce site? are you going to do it by creating sub domain for the shop and pointing to that or with a redirect in htaccess?

Thanks

An information manager sounds like it could be just what I need. However I cannot find anything that looks like that in the list of addons for version 2.3 and did not have any luck for that as a search term on Google.

Can you point me in the diretion of the addon or a website where I can find an information manager for that is compatible with version 2.3?

Paul

1 Did you use a cms for the site and if yes which one?

1. The rest of the site is managed through Joomla, the site operates independently of the osC

2 With the template for the oscommerce shop did you code out the bar and breadcrums in the header of oscommerce or just the breadcrumbs and then made the header bar the same color as the background?

2. I removed the breadcrumbs all together by deleting the breadcrumbs div in the header.php file

2a. The My Account, Checkout, etc was modded to match color.

2b. The stylesheet.css was also edited to match the color of the main site. Mostly just font, font color, and bg color.

3 How do you point the menu button "shop" to the oscommerce site? are you going to do it by creating sub domain for the shop and pointing to that or with a redirect in htaccess?

3. Once the shop is done it will just link to "catalog/index.php"

If you are not comfortable with "hand coding" I would first look into the add-on suggested above.

Archived