• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customers can not log in to account (password issue)

Patrick73

I have an issue that I've search answers for a long time and since you have posted a lot on the issue, I wonder if you have an idea of the problem.

I'm in Quebec, Canada and my site is English and French.

I have a few customers, in both languages, complaining that they can not log in to my store since moving to osc 2.3.1.

If they use the forgotten password, they still can not get in the store.

To temporarely resolve the issue, I have added a master password. in passwords_funcs.php:

// This function validates a plain text password with a

// salted or phpass password

function tep_validate_password($plain, $encrypted) {

if (tep_not_null($plain) && tep_not_null($encrypted)) {

if ($plain == "MY_MASTERPASSWORD"){

return true;

}else{

if (tep_password_type($encrypted) == 'salt') {

return tep_validate_old_password($plain, $encrypted);

}

if (!class_exists('PasswordHash')) {

include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'passwordhash.php');

}

$hasher = new PasswordHash(10, true);

return $hasher->CheckPassword($plain, $encrypted);

}

return false;

}

}

/////////////////

If I use their email address with my master password to log in their account, then I can change their password in their account to something simple as "123abc" and then they can use the site.

Because my site uses both french and english to resolve the character encoding issues from the move to 2.3.1(iso /utf8) which cause all the french characters to be symbols, I have set the encoding to default to utf8 in my htaccess. Every page load is set to utf8. If you set your browser to something else, it will let you see the page in that encoding but will automatically load the next page in utf8. This makes me believe that the password problem is not browser encoding related.

People in Quebec can have their keyboards set to: France french or Canada french or even worse, have a french keyboard set to Canada english. This makes keyboards note react differently. Can this cause the problem I am facing?

Also depending on their mail software, again they might have a caracter encoding issue (thunderbird, hotmail etc..) so coying/pasting the forgotten password email might cause issues.

If you have any knowledge please share has I have no clue what more to do and can not find anything else online about this.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

@,

if your customer creates their password while viewing the French language then there should not be a problem. However, if you customer creates an account using the French character keyboard and viewing the site in English, future log ins MUST be done the same way. If the customer uses the French character keyboard and chooses the French language on your site, the site will not recognize the password.

Chris

Archived