• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order Data Not Reflecting Customer's Changes (Address, etc.)

artofadornment

I'm currently using the PayPal IPN payment module, although I'm not entirely sure if this issue is related to it or not. The problem seems to be centred around the checkout_confirmation page.

If a customer reaches that page and then decides to go back and change their shipping address, billing address, or shipping method, the order that was written into the database does not reflect the changes they make, nor is a new order generated. What the customer sees on the screen changes, and the correct data is sent to Paypal when they pay (new order total, shipping method & rate, etc.), however the order I see in admin (and thus what they see in their order history and order confirmation email) shows the order as it was before they made any changes. In addition, even though payment is successfully completed, the order status displays as "Pending" "PayPal IPN Verified [payment status: Completed]" instead of "Completed" "PayPal IPN Verified [payment status: Completed]". Interestingly, when a customer makes any change to items in the shopping cart, a new order *is* generated in the database when they hit the checkout_confirmation page again.

What can I do to allow these other changes to be "recorded" in oscommerce?

(thanks in advance for any advice!)

~ Elaine

Elaine,

That is because you have your website set to write the order to the database before being directed to PayPal to complete the transaction. So, if the customer cancels the transaction or hits the back button on thier browser, the order is already recorded with the previous message. I don't think there is a solution to the issue as the PayPal IPN module won't allow for complete changes after the order has been posted.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
That is because you have your website set to write the order to the database before being directed to PayPal to complete the transaction.

Hi Chris,

That's right, I need to change *when* the order is written to the database. Instead of it being written when the checkout_confirmation.php page (order summary) loads, I need it to be written when the customer clicks the "Confirm Order" button on that page (the button which then directs them to PayPal to pay). Any idea what code I would need to change?