• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal Payment Standard setup in osc 2.3.1

nobodyfamous

I am looking for a step by step guide for setting up PayPal Payment Standard in osc 2.3.1

I have done lots of mods and am comfortable with PHP and osc. This however is the first time I am setting up actual payment processing.

Looking at the documentation.pdf it looks like all the "key/certificate" info is optional. (turn Encrypted Web Payments on or off)

Is leaving that off a good idea? How do I go about obtaining these keys etc. (this will be on a GoDaddy Server for a client)

Chad,

You are correct when you say the Cert info is optional, however it is highly recommended to prevent ghost orders. This happens when the client is taken to the PayPal site to complete the transaction and either cancels the order or closes the browser. What happens is that you have an order saying PAID when you check on your admin side but in fact, you have NOT received payment.

I have never used the encryption option included in the contribution, I have always recommended and SSL to my clients and use the same set up on my personal sites.

Chris

"Encrypted Web Payments" should be turned off. It has nothing to do with your site's security or SSL.

It should be "on", if your site uses paypal generated buttons in conjunction with "PayPal Payment Standard".

It is use to prevent tampering of paypal generated buttons.

PayPal Payment Standard Setup

You don't need certs and keys. If you insist on having them, click here.

just a follow up to this setup;

the ipn page is <yoursite>/catalog/ext/modules/payment/paypal/standard_ipn.php

and your auto return page is <yoursite>/catalog/checkout_process.php

And, once you setup your Sandbox account, you need to make both a buyer and seller.

The seller account email is what you put in the payment module field for The PayPal seller e-mail address

Once you go live, switch the email back to your actual paypal account.

• 1 month later...

Hello All

I'm having a small problem with setting up paypal website standard on v2.3.1.

I think I have done all the correct stuff in the admin and at the Paypal end, but the shopping cart does not appear to send to paypal the line by line detail of what goods have been bought, just the goods total, shipping cost and total cost.

So when I receive a confirmation of sale e-mail from Paypal, it does not show what goods the customer has bought, see below

Extract from Paypals e-mail

"Payment details

----------------------------------------------------------------

Description: <my shop name>

Unit price: 0.78 GBP

Quantity: 1

Amount: 0.78 GBP

Postage: 3.95 GBP

Total: 4.73 GBP

Authorisation expiry date: 26 Mar 2012 10:58:08 BST"

Similarly when I go into my paypal account I'm unable to see the details of what has been bought.

Is this the expected result or have I done something wrong somewhere.

My site does have its own SSL.

Regards

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Cheers Steve

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

just installed the paypal standard module, it doesn't show in the admin payment modules listing, check to make sure I placed all new files correctly; used add-on from above forum listing. I have paypal express installed, but not what i want. tried logging out of admin, refresh button about everything thinkable, no luck. Does express need to be deleted before standard appears in admin?

Thanks,

Timmy C

Thanks to Steve, I have installed the add-on onto my v2.3.1 install and it certainly goes someway to achieving the result desired, now the paypal confirmation e-mail shows for example

------ Payment details -------------- Description: M01613001 CILINDER NUT x 1 | T0305015 5X15 DACROMET ALLEN BOLT x 1 |
Unit price: 1.14 GBP
Quantity: 1
Amount: 1.14 GBP
Total: 5.09 GBP 

Good start, but I'd like to take this a few steps further if possible, such that the e-mail would show

--- Payment details ------

Description:
"Product_model" M01613001 CILINDER NUT x 1 "Product_Price" "Qty X Product_Price"
"Product_model" T0305015 5X15 DACROMET ALLEN BOLT x 1 "Qty X Product_Price"
"Order Value before Shipping"
Total: 5.09 GBP

Now I can here you all asking why not go to the admin, all these details are there and you'd be absolutely correct. However, I have Sara's admin IP restriction, (see

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/313323-how-to-secure-your-oscommerce-22-site/page__st__560 

) in place and my partner who works from a different location is not all that computer literate, does not have fixed IP and gets totally lost when I tell him how to reset his IP address, hence i'm trying to make it a simple as possible for him so that he can either check the paypal account or the paypal email account to see full details of any orders. As I understand the add-on (and my understanding of php is not that great), part 2 (2)

Find: (Put the entire sentence because there are two equal sentences, the last) ----- <?php
 } else {
?><TR><TD class=main colspan="3"><?php echo '<b>' . HEADING_PRODUCTS . '</b> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '"><span class="orderEdit">(' . TEXT_EDIT . ')</span></a>'; ?></TD></TR><?php
 }
 for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($order->products); $i<$n; $i++) { Add after: ---------- $_SESSION['FixOrder'] = $_SESSION['FixOrder'] . $order->products[$i]['name'] . " x " . $order->products[$i]['qty'] . " ";

Creates the detail for the new information for the description and the separator " | " is created by the third alteration. This is where lack of knowledge of php comes in, i think I need to alter the last line of part 2 (2)

$_SESSION['FixOrder'] = $_SESSION['FixOrder'] . $order->products[$i]['model'] . " " . $order->products[$i]['name'] . " x " . $order->products[$i]['qty'] . $order->products[$i]['price'] . "a formula to calculate qty x price" . " "; 

and to replace the separator in part 3 with a line return <BR>

but as I don't really understand what, for example "$order->products[$i]['name']" in part 2(2) of the add in, means or is calling on, I'm unsure if the "model" or "price" statements are actually what I need.

Any clues would be gratefully appreciated.

regards Ken

Nb Sorry if this whole most end up a mess, it seemed okay at first but when I tried to edit it, there where no carriage returns, I've tried to put them back, but I'm also not very good at forums

Edited by kenkja

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Hello All,

In the absence of any posts, I thought I'd give it go and try out my idea of adapting http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6783 , as above, I changed the additional line in part 2(2) which adapts checkout_confirmation.php from

$_SESSION['FixOrder'] =  $_SESSION['FixOrder'] . $order->products[$i]['name'] . " x " . $order->products[$i]['qty'] . " ";

to

$_SESSION['FixOrder'] =  $_SESSION['FixOrder'] . $order->products[$i]['model'] . $order->products[$i]['name'] . " x " . $order->products[$i]['qty'] . " ";

Unfortunately all this did was alter the e-mail from paypal to include the product name twice, clearly I'm barking up the wrong tree with the last post, so don't try it

regards

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

• 1 month later...

Hi, I also installed the PayPal Standard Website Payments module in my osc 2.3.1 shop.

I got it all figured out so far, payments through sandbox are going okay, but I still have one issue:

After completing payment the PayPal website doesn't return to my shop url automatically. The buyer has 2 options; return to the shop (needed for confirmation e-mails and close the order) or he can choose to go to his PayPal account. This last option will propably cause the order never to be completed (checkout_process.php / checkout_success.php will never be reached). And yes, I did setup a callback url (checkout_process.php) in my Paypal preferences... how to make sure the buyer will be redirected to the shop after payment?? (these tests are done in sandbox)

Hi, I also installed the PayPal Standard Website Payments module in my osc 2.3.1 shop.

I got it all figured out so far, payments through sandbox are going okay, but I still have one issue:

After completing payment the PayPal website doesn't return to my shop url automatically. The buyer has 2 options; return to the shop (needed for confirmation e-mails and close the order) or he can choose to go to his PayPal account. This last option will propably cause the order never to be completed (checkout_process.php / checkout_success.php will never be reached). And yes, I did setup a callback url (checkout_process.php) in my Paypal preferences... how to make sure the buyer will be redirected to the shop after payment?? (these tests are done in sandbox)

If you use the "default" PayPal Standard Website Payments in 2.3.1 , the customer does not need to return back to your shop for the order to be updated. This is an "IPN" style module so the order status will be updated in the "background" anyway.

Edited by toyicebear

Okay, but what I see in test is that the e-mail regarding the order details is only sent when the return link is clicked after paypal payment. Without that the only mails going around are the paypal e-mails. I would also like to send the order e-mail automatically (including a copy to myself).

• 3 weeks later...

Live testing seems to work fine. After completing the Paypal payment the customer returns to the shop automatically.

One more question, hopefully someone's got the answer:

When the shop redirects the customer to the Paypal Standard (https) page it shows a little overview of the ordered items and desired shipping method. But unfortunately I see my Paypal name there instead of the shop's name. Also the quit and return link is shows as "stop and return to [email protected] instead of the shop's name. Is there any way to change this? I've been searching through the Paypal account settings but couldn't find it....

• 2 months later...

Hi 14steve14

I recently managed to delete all my oscommerce files after a cPanel FTP create/delete account issue. Thankfully I have them the site back now but courtesy I an old backup. Yeah yeah I know I started doing alterations without backing u, I am a fool.

Anyway my v2.3.1, is now working as its supposed to do, so I set about making the paypal better description alterations as you suggested in #10 above.

I think I've got yellow after me recent loss of site episode, given that I have managed to make this work before ( It may have been luck not good judgement), but the install instructions are

1- Open catalog/modules/payment/paypal_standard.php - I presume this means catalog/includes/modules/paypal_standard.php

2- Open catalog/checkout_confirmation.php - and make 3 alterations, the second of which occurs after the second occuence of

<?php

} else {

?>

<tr>

<td class="main" colspan="3"><?php echo '<b>' . HEADING_PRODUCTS . '</b> <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SHOPPING_CART) . '"><span class="orderEdit">(' . TEXT_EDIT . ')</span></a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

<?php

}

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($order->products); $i<$n; $i++) {

But I can only find 1 occurence of this on or around line 159, are there really there really two occurances of this passages of code in v2.3.1 or am I just going mad.

Ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Same issue here. I do not get a credit card option in PayPal Standard. I have set up many PayPal accounts and never had this problem except in OS Commerce. I do not see anywhere within PayPal to 'select' to take credit cards and I have never had to before. What am I missing?

Edited by pweden

Hi Weston,

I pretty sure that credit card issue is selected within paypal somewhere, although I just looked for it and could see it anymore. I think somewhere theres a check box with a description something like "accept payment without account"

Ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

I have just done a test purchase up to and including the point where a standard v2.3.1 passes the user over to paypal, the options given for payment were "Have a Paypal Account -. Log in" or "Don't have a Paypal Account - pay with debit/credit card. The changes in the add-on will not change these options, without the add-on on left of the paypal checkout page you'll see your site name and transaction totals, I think net shipping and total, if you find a way of successfully introducing this add on you'll see at least three lines of the products the customer has bought on this page, but the right side of the page will not change, as it is definitely controlled by your Paypal Preferences.

I know my reply is frustrating for you, but I'm not a programmer, and at least as I understand what you are saying paypal is allowing users to pay by both methods

Try doing a test purchase yourself, when you get to the payment method section, does it show underneath Payment Method "PayPal (Including Debit and Credit Cards), if so I think you have your paypal set up accept both PayPal account payments and PayPal as a payment gateway

Ken

Edited by kenkja

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Hi Weston please ignore last paragraph of above, god knows what i was thinking

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

I talked to tech support at PayPal and this is what he told me to do.

1. Go to paypal.com and log in to your account.
  2. Click "Profile" near the top of the page.
  3. Click "My selling tools."
  4. Click "Update" near "Website preferences."
  5. Select "Off" under "PayPal Account Optional" near the bottom of the page.
  6. Click "Save."

My setting was already like this, so still no credit card option. This is an OS Commerce issue becuse of the way info is being sent to PayPal. I hope someone can figure out how to reconfigure this PayPal module or tell me how to use the correct settings.