• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

About optimizing, remove duplicated pages from google.

makeholer

I dunno if i should post it here, but i know here have some members with lot of experience in optimizing, like Jack.

Im using google webmaster tool to optimize my oscommerce, now im looking for some problems with meta tags, the most annoying is the duplicated meta description, its happening because of the options i had on the site, like currency and languages, i've just removed it like 3 months ago, but google still have it, and then he says i've duplicated meta descriptions, for example:

/index.php

/index.php?currency=USD

So i used the google URL Parameters to remove the currency option USD from the searches, but i think it dont remove the already indexed links, how can i fix this?

EDIT: I'm having lot of problems with old links that didn't exist anymore, with the combination of parameters google think i've 5.000 URLS, i've something like 100 products, i cant have 5.000 URLS, for example:

products_id 5.349 -

and i'm using ULTIMATE SEO URLS, so i DONT HAVE products_id parameters anymore, and google think i have 5.349? i am thinking the best for me is just delete my website from google and start from 0 again, without errors, invalid parameters, etc, is there any way to do this?

Thanks for any help,

Marco Castellari

Duplicate meta tags are different from duplciate content and are not, necessairly, a bad thing. There's also nothing wrong with links with language ID's as long as the search engines know they are legitimate. They know that by using the caonical meta tag. You have to add the code for that tag. There is an addon just for that purpose or you can use Header Tags SEO, which does that and more. It is not uncommon to have many more links listed than the products on a site. That is normal and desireable. You shouldn't be trying to reduce that number. I don't understand what you mean about the url's and 5.349. Ultimate SEO doesn't give that kind of url so I assume you are using SEO 5. It still has id numbers though so I'm confused by that number.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

First, thanks for the fast reply,

i just thought this was a bad thing because of this text on google meta tags session of my oscommerce:

During crawling your site, Googlebot encountered some problems with its content. These problems do not prevent the appearance of your site in search results on Google, but their solution can improve the user experience and performance of your site.

I'm using Header Tags SEO to generate the tags, and its working ok. On the google PARAMETERS page i've this:

PARAMETER - MONITORED URLS
currency 5.452
products_id 5.349
language 4.186
cPath 2.594
manufacturers_id 2.254
page 1.546
sort 1.255
filter_id 402
pID 122

This mean for example, that i have 5.452 URLS with the parameter currency, right? how can i have 5.452 URLS on a 100 products website? i mean its by the combination of all this parameters generating lot of different links, its not good, right?

Jack,

First, thanks for the fast reply,

i just thought this was a bad thing because of this text on google meta tags session of my oscommerce:

I'm using Header Tags SEO to generate the tags, and its working ok. On the google PARAMETERS page i've this:

PARAMETER - MONITORED URLS
currency 5.452
products_id 5.349
language 4.186
cPath 2.594
manufacturers_id 2.254
page 1.546
sort 1.255
filter_id 402
pID 122

This mean for example, that i have 5.452 URLS with the parameter currency, right? how can i have 5.452 URLS on a 100 products website? i mean its by the combination of all this parameters generating lot of different links, its not good, right?

Google isn't saying the tags are errors, just that your products may list better if they were unique. That may or may not be the case. Google isn't doing anything other than noticing the there are duplicates. It might be that those are the best choices. You have to look at the various pages and decide. The test routine in Header Tags will show the same results.

I haven't looked in webmastre tools for a while so I don't know what those results mean, though I doubt that it means you have that many urls. I checked your site and it shows about 1,200. When they check your links, any variation will be counted twice. So a link to product_a.html and another to product_a.html?currency=USD will be counted as two pages, even though they are probably to the same page. The code in Header Tags will tell them not to punish the site for them so it is not a probelm to have them both. Also keep in mind that while you may only have 100 products, there are also reviews for those products, so that 200 urls. If currencies apply to each, then that's 400 url's. See how it can quickly change?

I did look through some of your links on google and saw one for the shopping cart, which should not exitst since search engines should not be allowed to get to the shopping cart. So you have something wrong with your configure file, spiders file or session settings (or all three). You can search the forums for how to fix those.

Also, there is this link listed. You may want to fix that since the page is not of any use as it is: http://www.babucha.c...ml?reviews_id=4

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'll see those things and try to fix, thanks for the reply, just one more thing. Because this lot of pages i will have more difficulty to insert a relevant word, because google will think i have the words on menu, categories, and bottom of the page more times (because it will be on ALL pages), is it right?

I'll see those things and try to fix, thanks for the reply, just one more thing. Because this lot of pages i will have more difficulty to insert a relevant word, because google will think i have the words on menu, categories, and bottom of the page more times (because it will be on ALL pages), is it right?

That's the point of installing Header Tags. Setup each page for its own keyword(s) and they will do fine.

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived