• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Better Way for Handling Orders with Google Checkout?

altoid

Our osCommerce sites only use PayPal as the payment method, but sometime this year I'd like to add alternate methods of payment. Seems some customers just don't want to use PayPal....

But for bookkeeping purposes Paypal deposits are right then and there with the sale (to the PayPal acct), and with PayPal I am able to get a monthly total of PayPal fees that I enter at the end of the month for all PayPal sales, rather then enter the fee for each transaction individually. Bookkeeping runs fairly smoothly with PayPal sales.

But we also sell on a "market place" site that we use Google Checkout. It definitely effects sales there, probably 50% of sales are via Google Checkout.

So I am considering adding Google Checkout to my osC sites.

Problem with Google Checkout is it's a bit of a pain for bookkeeping purposes in Quickbooks. At least compared to PayPal.

For Google Checkout, once I enter the sale in Quickbooks, it's usually several days until the deposit to my bank account actually happens. Which makes reconciling the bank account a bit more work because the date of the sale and the actual deposit don't match. I usually end up manually adjusting the date of sale to get things to match.

Then to enter fees for Google Checkout, I have to individually enter each fee for each sale. Which is more work in bookkeeping, and if there's a bunch of Google Checkout sales that all ads up in time and effort. It doesn't seem Google Checkout generates a "monthly sales and transactions" report like PayPal does.

Is there something I am missing on how to better handle Google Checkout transactions and fees in Quickbooks?

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.