• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order Handling Software

Hi there,

I've recently started developing software for store owners to handle customer orders more efficiently. In particular, I'm trying find ways of streamlining the whole process.

Don't worry, I didn't start this thread to try and sell software, more along the line of whether people would be interested in this product as a free software and what they would like to see in it.

At the moment this is how it works....

1. Customer Packing Slips are automatically printed out as soon as an order is received. Exactly the same as the standard packing slip, except with an Order ID barcode
  2. Store Staff login into the software using an employee number or email address
  3. The latest orders completed orders are displayed along with orders 'processing' highlighted in red.
  4. staff scan the barcode on the packing slip to bring up the contents of the customer's order.
  5. staff find all the products in their warehouse/shop and scan the products using barcode scanner. The software cross references the products scanned against the customer's order. If the correct item is scanned, it is ticked off.
  6. Staff fold up the packing slip, to show the customer's delivery address and stick it in one of those document enclosed wallets and stick on customer's package.
  7. Once the order is complete, the customer is notified, letting them know their order has been completed and is awaiting dispatch.
  8. When the courier arrives, staff scan packing no again and this notifies the customer that the parcel has been dispatched.

These are the key features of the software:

• Key Performance Indicators of order handling and process sequence times... using industry standard lean manufacturing tools, etc
  • To reduce the input required by mouse or keyboard
  • Software has access priveledges to prevent certain gaining access to certain functions
  • Table fields fully customisable and means that the software should work with oscommerce that has been modified intensively.

Anything else? thoughts?

I am new to OS Commerce - but it looks like a great solution. Do you have a solution for itemizing product attributes? Our site has equipment, and one piece has several variables - but OS Commerce cart looks at as if it is a new product, if the consumer wants to remove an attribute they have to start all over.

Mobilespraytechnology.com - I used a template, hired and intern from a web design program to help with set up.

Debbie,

I am confused. Why would you hire anyone to install an out-dated version of osCommerce for you ? Also, a 'web designer' was not needed as you purchased a template, what you needed is a web developer to update and secure your shopping cart. It is vulnerable and only a matter of time before a hacker takes control of it away from you.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Currently the project i'm working on is purely for handling customers orders, not updating products and their attributes. However, if it pans out, I'd definately consider to include it in future versions.

I do know what you mean about the lack of clarity or simplicity when it comes to adding attributes to products. Have you considered using....

www.mariovaldez.net/software/oscpmwin/download.php

OSCommerce Product Manager

It's a good piece of software and one of my clients uses it to update their stock levels, products, etc. Very quick and easy to use.

Hi Dominic

How is the software coming along

I have Windows 7 32 bit, will the software you are coming up with work with Windows 7 and 32 bit

I really cant wait to try the new software you come up with

I tried order integrator but it keeps coming up with cant connect to sql server or something along them lines

Regards

Ian

Attached is a screen shot of program displaying all of the recent customer orders....

Once you've logged in, this screen is displayed where you can either type in the order number or scan it in using a barcode reader.

It then takes you to a packing list screen where all of the items in the customer's order is displayed.

Once you've ticked all the times off (by scanning them or ticking them off), you are then presented with a screen to mark it as dispatched, etc.

Just a little taster of what it looks like.

The software I'm working on works with any operating system as long as it's 32bit (98, XP, Vista, 7). I hope to have a demo version in the next few weeks.

post-302818-0-79828100-1325810378_thumb.jpg

post-302818-0-40858800-1325811323_thumb.jpg

Hi Dominic

Just looked at the screenshots

It looks great and is exactly what I am looking for

Can you let me know when the demo version is ready so I can download it and also when the full version is ready, will it be free software

Kind Regards

Ian Haney

The plan is to get the it to a stage where people can start using it (albeit a demo) for their business, but it would still be a work in progress. It would be on the condition that everybody gives feedback (how they get on with the software, improvements, bugs, etc). I have one business using the software already, but that's only because they are literally on my door step and I have access to their site server/etc (so can fix on the spot).

There is still the coding for updating the actual orders to finish, which I hope to make a start on tonight.

I haven't decided entirely on what the plan is for the final version.

I will keep this thread updated on developments. :)

I tried order integrator but it keeps coming up with cant connect to sql server or something along them lines

Ian, I had a look into this today and its most likely down to the fact that your server/hosting does not allow external mysql connections (for security reasons).

I don't mean to tease you but this shouldn't be problem with this software as it uses a PHP bridge file to handle the data. So in other words, you upload an PHP file into the the admin folder of your site and the program talks to it to gather your customer orders, etc.

Something I had to get around/think about when I started to write the software, as my hosting and quite few others don't allow it.

Hi Dominic

Thank you for the replies and keeping me up to date, let me know if I am annoying you yet lol

I mentioned it to my host as well and they said they don't allow external mysql connections

That is a tease lol na joking, does sound really good software though and really can't wait for the demo

I was gonna say I could try the software to and give you the info or what ever you need to fix the problems that arise

What would you need the ftp info or the control panel info for my host

Kind Regards

Ian

no problem....

You would need to upload the file to your hosting yourself by whatever method you are used to, be it the web control panel or an FTP program.

Hi

I am with one.com

As far as I know I dont have a file to upload

What file is it that I would need to upload

Sorry to be a pain

I access my control panel through the one.com web address

Sorry once again

I have one&one hosting...

I use an FTP program (AceFTP) to upload to my hosting but you should be able to do it by logging into the control panel. There should be a thing called Webspace explorer under the access section. You can use this to upload files to your server.

The program uses a single PHP file that sits in your admin area.

If you are happy just to have a play with the software and get a feel for it. I'll try and package something up and send it to you.

I use Filezilla to upload all my files to the server

What php file would I need to create to sit in the admin area on the server

That would be great if you could package something up for me and send to me and I well get a feel for it

Thank you so much

Ian

you wouldn't need to create any php file, the program will come with one for you to upload. You might need to tweak the password and username parameters within the php file but that should be it. :)

Ahhh ok cool

Can't wait

Like a little kid with a new toy

I love new things like this especially for oscommerce and will help my business

Thank you so much for doing this

Are you going to send it across in here or do you want my email address to send it to

Regards

Ian

Probably best to send me your email in a private message and I'll send it to you or give you a link to download it.... when it's ready. :)

Hi

How are you

Thank you so much for the download link

I have installed it all ok, got the errors you mentioned but all is working ok

I have emailed you with a couple of things about it

Kind Regards

Ian

• 1 month later...

Just to keep everybody up to date and not let this thread go stale, I have some updates...

Given the postive feedback that I have had from Ian and a few others, I'm close to releasing the first publically available copy of the software.

I just need to start writing some clear set up instructions/guided set up video and we should be good to go.

As can be seen from the screen shots, the operator is shown a packing list, where each item is scanned and then is checked against the customer's order. If there is an item mismatch, an error message appears, else the product is checked off.

Once all the products in the order have been scanned, the operator is asked how they would like to update the order. Again, shortcut barcodes can be used to help reduce typing time and ultimately keep a low handling/takt time.

Notice that the order comments can be pre-written. So if you use common phrases or comments, these can easily be used time and time again.

post-302818-0-73781400-1329346135_thumb.jpg

post-302818-0-47560800-1329346140_thumb.jpg

I have a Filemaker DB that connects to OScommerce mysql to retrieve info from website= new customers and new orders, etc. This Filemaker DB creates from this everything else we need to run our system including; invoicing, inventory, CRM, purchasing, shipping etc.

All info is stored and backup in our Filemaker DB.

• 3 months later...

Archived