• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

store test, credit card actually being verified?

Bazil52

I have just setup my store but do not have a payment gateway however, when testing the store, it actually knew if I put in a wrong expiration date for my credit card and knew that a fake number was not good. How is this happening and what would have happened if I clicked the complete order button?

Jerry,

osCommerce does NOT include a credit card module at all, so there would be NO place to enter your credit card information. Therefore, you must have installed a payment gateway in order to have the credit card fields.

Chris

I guess I am confused as to what I have done. I did enable the credit card module but have not consciously setup anything with a bank or payment gateway like worldpay or authorize net. I did use my own personal credit card and it did know that when I entered a false exp date that it was wrong. I want my store to process credit cards in real time through some vendor like 'Payments Gateway' or 'Authorize.net' or someone else. So, what happened when I enabled the credit card module in the admin control panel?

There is a credit cad module that comes with rc2a, if you enabled it then you will be offered this method of payment.

You should diable it and not use it. It is not for production use.

THere are different cc processing module available in the add-on section just go and have a look for the one you want.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

G,

I guess I don't understand why it is there if it is not for real use. It must be a service for pay provided by someone or it could not possibly know whether my personal cc expiration date was correct or not.

It was meant as a base to help developers create real, working credit card modules. It was never intended for production use, and so has been removed from osC. If you use it, you will likely not be in PCI-DSS compliance and will face heavy fines.

Thanks for the explanation, I will remove it from my store. I am still puzzled because osc had to have had access to some national database or banking database in order to know whether or not my expiration date was correct on my personal card.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here but I was talking about the expiration date not the cc number itself. How could osc know that my expiration date was incorrect? osc told me that the date was invalid but when I changed it to the correct date, it was ready to take the charge and did not give an error.

I entered a legitimate (my personal visa card) number but just used the wrong date the first time and osc said that the exp date was invalid so I then entered the correct exp date of my personal card and it accepted it without error and was ready to proceed with the actual charge process.

Well there is a function that will check if the current (today) date is before the credit card date expire date and decline any that are before today. That is far as I know, how it would tell if the expire date is matching that of a credit card number is beyond me.

Either way, the default cc module with 2.2 isn't suppose to be used. You'll need to hook up your chose of payment methods.

Hope that helps,

Don

Archived