• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Modify 2.2 or upgrade to 2.3.1

vjwebb

I am running a customized oscommerce 2.2. I am thinking about upgrading to 2.3.1. I downloaded 2.3.1 so that I could look at the files.

Does 2.3.1 have Ultimate SEO's already in it? Also, Is there a list somewhere of the contributions that are included in the 2.3.1 release that weren't in 2.2? I installed a lot of contribution and also made changes of my own in 2.2 and am trying to determine if the upgrade will be worth the trouble.

Thank you,

V J

-- A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not a ships ultimate purpose.

VJ,

osCommerce v2.3.1 doesn't come with ANY contributions, however standard enhancements includes addition product images, change store logo from admin and some security enhancements. If your v2.2 store is doing what you want it to do and is secure, I would stick with it. (don't fix what isn't broken)

Chris

VJ,

osCommerce v2.3.1 doesn't come with ANY contributions, however standard enhancements includes addition product images, change store logo from admin and some security enhancements. If your v2.2 store is doing what you want it to do and is secure, I would stick with it. (don't fix what isn't broken)

Chris

Thank you for confirming what I was already thinking. I have been looking at the 2.3.2 code and it looks as though upgrading would just create a massive job of redoing all of the adds and changes that I have done over the last several years.

V J

-- A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not a ships ultimate purpose.

I would Upgrade. We had our site 2004-2010, and the upgrade probably took about 20 hours of solid work, upgrading and applying all the little tweaks and fixes I had over the years. I had a list of about 30 changes of contributions, and it only took that long. If you have a lot more, your millage will vary. There are some less obvious SEO upgrades in 2.3.x, even just the much cleaner code is a big one, and as time goes by I we'll be seeing a lot more extensions just for 2.3

But, like Chris said, if it's secure, and your happy, and don't have the time to upgrade, stick with it.

A little knowledge of php goes a long way.

Archived