• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can you customize pages individuality?

newbi462

OK digging in to themes but only help I I finding is global changes which is not what I want

found

Simple Template System

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524

but that is still global if I read it right.

more than one place says

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

3. includes/left_column.php

4. includes/right_column.php

5. Stylesheet.css

but that is the header footer and side par for every page on the site.

I want to change individual pages.

One theme for cad A another for Cab B one for Pod 1 and another for Prod 2, the check out page(s), the welcome page, the log in pages. Basically want to themes the site page by page as I want it.

Can this be done?

yes it can be done, but without using module, you need to modify yourself the oscommerce code, probably store design for every product in database, this way you will have a various design for products.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

OK I am looking at the code here...no good way to say this.... and not bashing the project just an observation...

but it is a real mess. No indents some basic HTML stuff out of the preferred order for today and looks like every thing is done with tables instead of divs like it should be.

My guess it I will be re writing most of this code for the rest of the year, alot of basic clean up just so I can follow the code with out my eyes rolling, and my guess is I will get stuck hear and there.

So 3 questions?

Q1: Can I set up a test store and then DL the mods and upload it over other stores so I dont need to do this work every time I set up an OSC store?

Q2: Is this the correct section of the forms to post when I get stuck during the mod process? I am sure I will get code fatege here and there and have a "ok I give up where is this" that I need answered so I can continue the fix.

Q3: After I straiten all this out and fix all the out dated HTML to today's standard for me is there a way to push that up steam to the project so others don't need to do the same work?

Sorry if I sound like I am nitpicking but sloppy code makes my eyes hurt when it comes to HTML I am pretty anal retentive, and I feel inclined to fix it, and my guess is the front end HTML is a low priority for the project, but important to me and maybe site owners.

Just let me know so I know what is the best way to get started on this unfortunately involved project.

1. Yes.

2. Probably the General forum would be better. Most of us monitor the new posts anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of difference. I suggest that you read the forum rules first though.

3. You can upload your work as an Addon. Keep in mind that massive changes to the code may make using other Addons and future code updates a lot more difficult. You might want to add the features you think you will need before starting to rewrite the HTML base.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

2 more options:

- use version 2.3.1 that is less table based, in fact tables should not be a problem

- there is an addon called "osc to css" that is basically what you describe, version rc2a without tables

2.3.1 is what I have DL but still seeing alot of not quite right code.

The head is in the wrong order for best SEO practice. assumptions about how the page should be structured are made that require changing code. And I need to add the additional style sheets and so on. The basic temp is built around the idea of 5 main sections and inducing the menus or sections inside them. I prefer to build pages completely modular so moving something like say a menu from the top the bottom is nothing more than the simplest of CSS tweaks. And the default way the HTML is assembled wont work that way but instead would require changing the page. To do so I need at least 8 or more sections to an average page.

regarding "osc to css" I will look at it any add on that will help make less work but depending how it dose it mayor may not do that.

My hope is other than reformatting the PHP so it is easier to follow if I leave all the PHP alone stock addons will still work.

I will start modding a test store Monday or Tuesday depending how long it takes the host to set up the account. And get moding. I see no reason the code that is out put can not pass an HTML validation and be done in an optimized order.

But going to mean going through and adding what has been left out and changing things to remove the assumptions about where they are used.

Right now I cant move the side menus to the top or what ever only changing the css. And that is really what I need.

2.3.1 is what I have DL but still seeing alot of not quite right code.

The head is in the wrong order for best SEO practice.

I prefer to build pages completely modular so moving something like say a menu from the top the bottom is nothing more than the simplest of CSS tweaks.

I need at least 8 or more sections to an average page.

I see no reason the code that is out put can not pass an HTML validation and be done in an optimized order.

Right now I cant move the side menus to the top or what ever only changing the css. And that is really what I need.

Well, you sound like knowing exactly what you want to do and how to do it, much luck then

I doubt I know 100%.

My guess is I will need to post in the forms with some "ok OSC is doing this and I need it to do......, but I cant quite find what part is doing that. Any one know where the heck it is?"

Basically when I cant quite follow the logic of the PHP...will likely need clarification. But so far you all are being pretty nice and helpful. I just hope it stays that way through out this mod process.

Hope I don't piss off the form in the coming weeks.

Archived