• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Telephone orders

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to control their stock levels from 1 database.

We're utilising osCommerce for the store but there will be both online and telephone orders coming through.

What is the best way to incorporate the telephone orders onto the 1 osCommerce database?

He doesn't want his staff having full admin access - so they can't view stock, sales, money made etc.

I thought the easiest way might be to assign staff members with their own 'customer' logins and they could then process the customers orders through their own accounts (which would be good for auditing). HOWEVER, there will be potentially many different real customers with different orders and different payment details! How would this work?

Am I over-complicating this?

All we want really is a means for staff to take telephone orders and update the online database accordingly.

Much kudos to those with any sensible suggestions =)

TIA

Stephen

We take phone orders and just have the staff place an order as if they were the customer themselves. In the event a customer doesn't have an email, we setup a catch all account and format the emails like so: [email protected].

This way, staff doesn't access admin at all and orders get placed in the customers names. The stock OSC address book only holds 5 addresses, so 1 account per staff wouldn't work well if you wanted to keep accurate records.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Chris

Look in the add-ons section for: POS and/or admin access levels + manual order maker

Hi,

Thanks for the swift replies.

What about accepting instant payments? The order would need to be processed and verified before the phone call is ended.

Payment needs to be in place before goods are instantly dispatched... Like a takeaway!!

Also, the owner wants to know which staff member placed the order and which driver delivered it. There's obviously a trust thing here, maybe they have had bad experiences in the past, or high staff turnover. Maybe they're just realises!

Really appreciate the advice, thanks

Stephen

Look in the add-ons section for: POS and/or admin access levels + manual order maker

What is POS? Tried a search and found nothing mate, thanks

Stephen

Hi,

This POS sounds like it could be just what I need.

There's the oscommerce-pos which is $99 but then there's the php POS contribution which seems to be free.

Any ideas which one I should look into?

Great advice, TIA

Archived