• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to force the clients to register a new shipping address?

bikey77

I'm in the process of making some changes to an existing oscommerce 2.2 installation and I need some help.

The shop is based in Greece and one of the issues I'm trying to solve is to make customers enter all their information in Greek rather than English (it's a bad habit that's quite common, people input their data using latin characters which makes things messy when you want to use the data for further processing, i.e. grouping orders by area, printing delivery labels etc).

SO.... I was thinking of emptying the table address_book to ensure that the customers will have to update their address next time they place an order and then I'll make sure they use only Greek chars (how, that's another story!).

My problem is, when an existing customer logs in to place a new order, the default shipping address is no longer there (because I've emptied the address_book table) but there's no warning or prompt on the page to tell the client to fill in a new address. How can I make sure that the customer WILL fill in a new address?

Thanks and sorry bout the long post, I thought it would give you a better picture, if not please accept my apologies.

You would need to delete ALL customer information to force them to create a NEW account. However, I don't believe there is any way to FORCE your customers to use GREEK characters only when creating an account. The create_account.php fields are not validated for proper language.

Chris

I didn't say I wanted them to create a new account but to enter their billing and posting address.

I'm going to use regex to permit only Greek chars, I'm not sure it will work but I'll give it a try.

The customers address is directly linked to their entire account. You can't have them just enter a new address, you would have to delete all customer accounts and make everyone register again. As for using regex in osCommerce......let me know how you make out.

Chris

I began emptying the table address_book which contains all of the delivery/secondary addesses and also setting the field customers.customer_default_address_id to null for all customers so that they would have to add a new address to their next order.

Could you please help me figure out how oscommerce checks if there is a default shipping address and how it acts if none is found? Thanks.

Archived