• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Not charge shipping for some items

Mavfrank

Hello,

I have a cart that is working good for the most part but it has 2 classes of items. One is a material product that is bought and shipped and I'm using the table for that and it is working OK. However, we are a charity and there is a donation in the cart and we don't want it to be charged shipping as it is just a donation. But the cart charges the minimum amt for shipping. How can I designate the donations to not get charged shipping?

Frank,

You can remove your products that denote a donation and add a contribution like Donations, this way the cart doesn't see the donations as a product....

OR

You can use Individual Product Shipping to assign specific shipping for the tangible products you do have on the website, leaving the donation products shipping cost zero.

OR

You can add custom code to insert a flag that would set a variable to not exempt certain products from being charged shipping based on a 'checkbox' on the categories.php page.

Chris

@Frank : Which shipping module are you using and is it by wt or by rate.

In case by wt just set wt to 0.

If by rate then you need to modify quote function so that it skips products that have wt as 0.

Satish

Ask/Skype for Free osCommerce value addon/SEO suggestion tips for your site.

Check My About US For who am I and what My company does.

@Frank : Which shipping module are you using and is it by wt or by rate.

In case by wt just set wt to 0.

If by rate then you need to modify quote function so that it skips products that have wt as 0.

Satish

Thanks very much for all the great input. Sorry I wasn't more forthcoming with info.

I'm using the table rate and I have the weight set to zero. That was kind of the no brainer approach I thought would work. But it adds shipping equal to one.

Reason I went with that was because we are selling commemorative watches and for defined quantities there is a given shipping charge. It seems to work great. I have the tare weight set to 0 and each watch set to 1. I thought setting the donation weight to 0 would prevent it from charging shipping but that isn't the case.

The suggestion about the virtual product sounds good. I'm going to look that up but any suggestions where to look would be appreciated.

Looked up the virtual product but it is an install and recommends that it is tested on another setup before deploying to the live site. I don't have the time or resources to build another cart like this one to test. Anyone have any idea why the table rate is a charging with the weight of 0? Is there something that tells it to charge the base amount for any product and if so how can I designate for it not to charge for products that weigh 0?