• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can I *not* use the front-end somehow?

AddyMac

Hi guys,

I've designed an awesome HTML/CSS site, with my own checkout forms, product images, and so forth... just how I want them! I just need a payment gateway that works with PayPal Pro, stores customer information, and tracks inventory. So basically, I want to use the back-end features of osCommerce without affecting my front-end design. Can I do that?

If I can't, will I have to code one from scratch?

Thanks! I'm new to the cart world.

Adam

I suppose you could scrounge code from osC to guide you in implementing PayPal Pro, but you'll probably have an easier time building it from scratch according to PayPal's specifications. If you're going to have a static (HTML, no PHP or other scripting) store, you might as well just drop in some of PayPal's canned HTML to invoke their services. What's the point of having a static site if you still have to drop into PHP to handle the payment?

As Chris said, if the store is just a small part of your site, you can customize osC to make it look pretty much like the rest of your static site. Then you have more or less the best of both worlds, although I should caution you that static HTML sites are a dead end. They're difficult to update and customize, and employers aren't looking to hire people with only that skill set. (Being able to do good page design is in demand, but you must be able to script it.)

Archived