• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade 2.2 to 2.3 - Some Questions

rethus

I think about to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3, but i'm not sure.

I've read, that the recommended way to do this, is only to upgrade SQL, and do a reinstall of the OSC-Shop.

In My shop, i have do some changes:

Order without a User-Account,

Show more Images, include show BIG-Images with lightbox,

i though, there where some other changes too, but the shop runs since some years, so i didn't know exactly every little change.

Question is: Should i upgrade to 2.3 or only fix the patches?

http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/display/OSCOM23/v2.2+to+v2.3.0

I've read, that the recommended way to do this, is only to upgrade SQL, and do a reinstall of the OSC-Shop.

It's not as simple as it sounds, therefore...

Question is: Should i upgrade to 2.3 or only fix the patches?

Apply the patches, otherwise you will have to recode all your addons for V2.3

Applying the core update edits will STILL REQUIRE you to update your contributions in some cases.

Personally, I have found it easier, and the carts more stable to just create a new store using v2.3.1

Chris

I second Chris on this one ... in most cases its easier to start with a fresh 2.31 and then just add in the wanted add-ons to it.

Also take note that 2.31 have unlimited multi-images, fancybox and bxgallery built in, see an example of it in action at the demo here>>

Applying the core update edits will STILL REQUIRE you to update your contributions in some cases.

Personally, I have found it easier, and the carts more stable to just create a new store using v2.3.1

Chris

Hi Chris, I have upgraded one of my sites from RC2a, without having to fix the ~20 contributions I had installed.

True, I did however fix all of them, apart from a very, very few, but only to get them working as intended

and to get the site to validate (admin as well as catalog).

So I would like to know what fixes needs to be done to get the contributions to work with an upgraded RC2a...

It might be that this applies to the "native" v2.3.1?

Sara

Hi Sara,

You may be right in that existing contributions may function with an upgraded RC2a site with little to no changes, however as you stated for site validation and for the sake of 'doing things right', I always update all contributions.

Chris

Archived