• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Formatting my index page...Help!

Eaviator

Greetings Gang,

I hope someone can turn me on to the right instructions here. I have a problem with my installation. Although the install is working great I have to modify the index page, and make the left column wider than the right and reduce the center section accordingly. I know how to use the 960 gridder css as I have a plain Jane install, but the problem arises when I change the column width for the left hand column. The right hand column does too because they have the same class which is the ui-widget InfoBoxContainer. Where in the code do I go to make this change and allow myself to make the columns different width's....help.

Thanks Gang, all help much appreciated here

DougB

It looks like your problem is not about formatting the index page, but about setting column widths

The column width has nothing to do with any ui-widget or any infoboxcontainer width. It is not set there.

Column width is set in 2 steps:

1 as a "relative" width": how many grids of the 24 existing in total should the column occupy? This is set is file includes/classes/osc_template.php and you can read more about here. You can also read here - scroll down to the comments

2 as an absolute width: The grids are translated into pixels, this happens in the 960gs stylesheet. If you need an other pixel width per grid, then you need to change the stylesheet, again, above linked post will help you

Any other changes to other stylesheet parts, like setting fixed widths to some other elements are not correct

Hi George,

I read your post as shown at the first link. I guess what I need to so is show you what I need to accomplish here as I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. In catalog/includes/classes/osc_template.php you have

var $_grid_container_width = 24;
     var $_grid_content_width = 16;
     var $_grid_column_width = 4;

and what I need is to have something like:

var $_grid_container_width = 24;
     var $_grid_content_width = 14;
     var $_grid_left_column_width = 6;
     var $_$grid_right_column_width = 4;

but I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to do with the includes/template_top.php file

if (!$oscTemplate->hasBlocks('boxes_column_left')) {
       $oscTemplate->setGridContentWidth($oscTemplate->getGridContentWidth() + $oscTemplate->getGridColumnWidth());
       }

if (!$oscTemplate->hasBlocks('boxes_column_right')) {
       $oscTemplate->setGridContentWidth($oscTemplate->getGridContentWidth() + $oscTemplate->getGridColumnWidth());
       }

How do I show that file what the width's are properly, and how does the includes/template_bottom.php file work into this as well. Do I also still have to change the 960.css file as well or does it get left once these files are changed? Sorry for the beginner questions... I'm still getting used to osCommerce now. Your help is much appreciated here. Thanks in advance...

DougB

Archived