• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problem with OsCommerce

musenuovo

1st) Contributions are one big mess. I spend whole day to testing contributions on fresh install of osCommerce v2.3.1 - 90% are referring to code that does not exist or are not working. I think there should be voting on contributions. I don't care there is 3,542,500 in last year when 90% of that is not working code that wastes my time and makes user frustrated. Annoying.

2nd) Structure of the osCommerce (HTML and CSS side of the thing is just 10 years behind). Would it not be a nice to have nice class groups added for buttons or instead of having product in difficult to style tables having them in nice ul list, with li floated to left and clear div on the bottom. Anyway I'm rewriting this each time I build up a shop, getting rid of nonsematic code and building code that makes sence and enable me to style it nicely.

I like the simplicity of osCommerce and will miss it once it will be tramplet with Magento, Presta Shop, or tens of other new e-commerce solutions. What do you think?

The only question you posted was:

What do you think?

Unfortunately, that question is not specific enough to provide you with an answer. However, I did notice you had some complaints. Those should be forwarded to the complaints department at www.magento.com :lol:

Chris

1)

The contributions are most often built for V2.2, not for v2.3x A few is upgrade to work with the latter.

And most important the contributions are NOT built by the core team, but by individual users.

So, do not blame the osCommerce team... talk to those who built the contributions. There might be a support thread.

2)

The html and css code is not outdated, it's the use of the code that may be oldish... and that is up to you.

The flexibility of the code makes this possible.

Finally, why not contribute yourself with "up to date" code? Would be very interesting to see... :)

A bit of an advice, if you want to use contributions built for v2.2 then use v2.2 and the upgrade to v2.31

It can be done, it just takes a little bit of work... I have done it, so I know.

Sara

<snip_the_drivel>

</snip_the_drivel>

What do you think?

No one is twisting your arm to stay.

Don't let the door hit you in the gluteus maximus on the way out.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

1)

The contributions are most often built for V2.2, not for v2.3x A few is upgrade to work with the latter.

And most important the contributions are NOT built by the core team, but by individual users.

So, do not blame the osCommerce team... talk to those who built the contributions. There might be a support thread.

2)

The html and css code is not outdated, it's the use of the code that may be oldish... and that is up to you.

The flexibility of the code makes this possible.

Finally, why not contribute yourself with "up to date" code? Would be very interesting to see... :)

A bit of an advice, if you want to use contributions built for v2.2 then use v2.2 and the upgrade to v2.31

It can be done, it just takes a little bit of work... I have done it, so I know.

Sara

Hi Sara,

Many thanks for advice. I will use v2.2 next time. Shame some of the contributions are not marked what version they are used with.

I don't mind doing contributions (providing updated files like header, footer, product listing + adding the CSS for quick start). I do this each time anyway. I think skinning of the shop would be much easier. Saying that I realized that some contributions can overwrite the amended code again so your layout is broken. That's why I think unless it comes with new version I will have to do it each time myself.

All the best,

Michal

The only question you posted was:

Unfortunately, that question is not specific enough to provide you with an answer. However, I did notice you had some complaints. Those should be forwarded to the complaints department at www.magento.com :lol:

Chris

Hi Chris,

The versions of the contributions could be marked so you can actually sort out what suits you and what not. I know you work with osCommerce years but osCommerce is not closed comunity of profi developers, but people who pick up the tool and try to use it as best as they can - well that what os stands for (open source?). It can be very frustrating to find contributions and install them correctly for the correct version so I think that marking up the version and making it clearly visible (and searchable) would be tremendous help.

Magento does have big demands on resources and installation is not easy it is a simple fact. The fact is also that styling the tables with CSS is more difficult than any other html object (div or li).

Best wishes,

Michal

No one is twisting your arm to stay.

Don't let the door hit you in the gluteus maximus on the way out.

Hi Germ,

Thanks for reminding me. Thought, no one would read this.

All the best,

m.

Add-ons can be filtered by version.....there is a dropdown for just that on the add-ons page.

For the lazy ones and/or the ones who do not know how to use a drop-down but who still want to see only v2.3 compatible add-ons, click here>>

Add-ons can be filtered by version.....there is a dropdown for just that on the add-ons page.

For the lazy ones and/or the ones who do not know how to use a drop-down but who still want to see only v2.3 compatible add-ons, click here>>

Hi Nick,

:) you didn't include the case of huge monitor and small invisible dropdown!

thanks,

m.

In my opinion Musenuovo is right. Partially.

I'm not a coder, I'm a simple guy who is right now turning his life 180 degrees. This brought me to osCommerce, even if couple of weeks ago I didn't know anything about html, php, sql. etc. Trying not to be stupid I started to read. And reversing the way I do things I stopped to tell anyone else except me "do this, do that".

Community free contributions are... wide spectrum of quality ;)

First of all I appreciate a lot the community that wrote them and let other users use for free. I don't want to underline who did the greatest, but in my personal opinion add-ons released by FWR a perfect example of how someone can share a great piece of work. Including install manual and configuration, hints and support later. But from the other hand there is a lot of stuff that probably is working sometimes, but isn't conflict free, without the code properly written.

Filtering the right one in the huge number is complicated. And sometimes having the support is impossible.

To rank the contributions in my personal opinion would be a great idea. This would avoid issues with wrong code and dead support threads. In my opinion.

On a bit different note is there any good book written on osCommerce.

I red the standard introduction documentation:

http://www.oscommerce.info/confluence/dashboard.action

And I red this two books (one of them quite outdated the other one just a bit).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programmers-Guide-OsCommerce-Bolts-Customization/dp/1411678605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311321112&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Inside-osCommerce-Monika-Math%C3%A9/dp/1847190901/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311321132&sr=8-3

Can anyone give me advice or point me to a good book or guide or technical manual?

Many thanks.

m.

Archived