• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Weird Squiggly A on prices at checkout

Simon@SmallWars

As the title suggests, on the main site my prices are displayed properly but when I get to the checkout my prices look like this £1.34

labbs has suggested its something to do with UTF-8 settings. That is beyond my ability to fix, so any ideas whats gone wrong and how I sort it out?

Many Thanks

Simon@SmallWars

Simon,

You could try changing the charset in the /includes/languages/english/english.php file from this:

// charset for web pages and emails

define('CHARSET', 'utf-8');

to this:

// charset for web pages and emails

define('CHARSET', 'ISO-8859-1');

Chris

Your "pounds sterling" character is probably in UTF-8 (two bytes), and your page is being displayed in a single byte encoding such as Latin-1/ISO-8859-1. See what your browser says is the current page encoding (View > Character encoding or something similar). Temporarily change the encoding (in the browser) to UTF-8, and see if the pound sign displays correctly. If so, find out why your page is being displayed in Latin-1 instead of UTF-8. Were you trying to get your site displayed in UTF-8?

OK Dunweb, I went into /includes/languages/english/english.php file and made the changes suggested. For some reason that changed all of my prices to include the extra A in front of the price. Changing the text back solved that issue but leaves me with prices still changed at the checkout stage.

MrPhil, character encoding tells me that the main page is in UTF-8. When I go to the checkout pages that changes to ISO-8859-15. Changing that to UTF-8 solves the problem temporarily but how do I alter that permanently.

The only changes I have made is to add the Royal Mail Shipping Module.

Any clue as to what I`ve done wrong!

Many Thanks

Simon@SmallWars

ISO-8859-15 (aka Latin-9) is a modification of the Latin-1 encoding, where some lesser-used punctuation was dropped in favor of the Euro and some needed accented letters and ligatures. You have to look through your code for the string ISO-8859-15 and see who's setting it, and change it to UTF-8. Perhaps it's in one of the files of the Royal Mail Shipping Module? Start there. Very likely, you will have to examine all the related files and see if there are any non-ASCII codes in there that are legitimate Latin-1/Latin-9, but invalid UTF-8 (such as the Pounds Sterling sign) and fix them to either the correct UTF-8 code or an HTML entity (named, e.g., €, or the numeric equivalent).

Archived