• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I'm just setting up V2.2, Can I use my CSS?

hhalliburton

I had another website using Zencart and it was getting hack daily so I'm setting up this cart since it is offered by my host. I love the style sheet that was designed for my business but I'm not real savvy on how to install things. Is it possible to install my CSS into this cart if so where would I install it and the image folder for I can at least have the same look and feel as my other cart.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me.

Heidi

If you are truly using 2.2 you'd better survey what's at the link below or you could end up with the same experience that you just left with the other cart.

:blush:

How to Secure Your Site

The "highlights" (IMHO) would be to immediately rename your admin folder (that requires changes to the config file), protect it additionally with a .htaccess file, and remove the file_manager and define_language in the admin.

Persoanlly I don't think the "IP Trap" is a necessary security add-on. Banning by ip address is an endless endeavor (because hackers can come at you from unsecure sites or PC's constantly hiding their true IP) and should be reserved only for the few that bang away at the site continually gobbling up bandwidth or slowing it down for customers. Most hackers probably don't fall into that catagory. They "fish" for security loopholes with a dozen or so queries then probably leave.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

If you are truly using 2.2 you'd better survey what's at the link below or you could end up with the same experience that you just left with the other cart.

:blush:

Are you saying that I would be better since I'm JUST starting and haven't don't anything really to update the version my web host is running? Or just starting all of the of the suggested items at the following site? (which I will be back I'm sure with questions LOL)

How to Secure Your Site

The "highlights" (IMHO) would be to immediately rename your admin folder (that requires changes to the config file), protect it additionally with a .htaccess file, and remove the file_manager and define_language in the admin.

Persoanlly I don't think the "IP Trap" is a necessary security add-on. Banning by ip address is an endless endeavor (because hackers can come at you from unsecure sites or PC's constantly hiding their true IP) and should be reserved only for the few that bang away at the site continually gobbling up bandwidth or slowing it down for customers. Most hackers probably don't fall into that catagory. They "fish" for security loopholes with a dozen or so queries then probably leave.

I'll be finding out how to get a SSL even though I'm only going to use Paypal for processing because I'm so blasted sick of being hacked on a daily, and I'm not kidding, a daily basis.

Heidi

Don't use osC 2.2 simply because that's what your (way behind the times) host is offering you. If you're starting a new store, you'd be best off using the current version, which is 2.3.1. It's CSS-driven, so after learning a bit about CSS, you could tweak the CSS to make it look more like your existing site. Changing colors, font face, font size, etc. is simple, as is putting in your logo. More extensive layout changes will be more difficult, and may require PHP code changes. In any case, it will be easier than with 2.2.

The only reason for putting up a new store with osC 2.2 (which is something like 7 or 8 years old) would be that you absolutely have to use a particular template and don't care to (or can't) learn how to modify the current version to do the same thing.

Archived