• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attributes filter box

omulec

I was searching the forum as well as the contribution pages but from the discussion or/and the description in the contributions area I cannot determine the mod that would fit my needs.

In general I'm searching for a box that will be a filter of the attributes. Any solution that works well with 2.3.1 already modded welcomed. The thing is - it's fine with me to modify my already modified files, but contributions with manual "find and replace with" are appreciated.

In details it would be great to have related attributes (related to specific category, but also related to specific other attribute, but I think that it's much more than I should expect. I saw many useful contributions here and it's evident that there is a horde of people releasing for free their work. SEO resources are perfectly described for example. But sometimes it's difficult to understand from the description of the add-on or even from the content of the download what exactly does it do. On attributes it seems that I have a total blackout on which could be used.

If anyone could direct me on some contribution that would read standard OSC attributes and convert that to a drop-down fields that are shown in the box and acting as a filter, I would be grateful.

if you are not married to the attributes, you could try products_specifications,

alternatively, you could look at the product specifications code, and see if you can make attributes fit into that filtering scheme, not sure if it would be easy or difficult to do ...

good luck !

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

if you are not married to the attributes, you could try products_specifications,

Thanks for the hint Bruyndoncx.

Were you thinking about any specific add-on? I don't see any written for 2.3, however I took a look on the one written by Kymation. I looks a little complex to me. Complex to apply, as it's not included from what I see in option to apply for just modified OSC. Of course I will try to look at the code and compare with original files to see what is added in more than 20 files so will take some time ;) I was thinking more about something simple, just ready for 2.3 and with manual how to apply on modified OSC.

For sure it will be not easy for me - 2 weeks ago I was green in all of this stuff. But as someone said - people learn all the life, so I've just learned about css, php and sql enough to set up a working modified store with it's own theme. I will try to learn this too.

Regards

you are correct

, but if you are unsure if it will work for you,

I would BACKUP your database first - really do this now :D

Then you might install a clean copy of oscommerce (2.2 RCx) php files in a separate directory, install kymations files on top of it, and point it to your 2.3 database (where you applied his sql changes).

this allows you to setup some tests with your real data and see how it behaves and if it will work for what you need.

That is exactly what I did when trying out his contribution at first.

The contirubtion is one of the best documented ones out there, and technically speaking kymation is a really good coder and very helpfull on the forums.

Carine

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

The contirubtion is one of the best documented ones out there, and technically speaking kymation is a really good coder and very helpfull on the forums.

Yes, I see that from the documentation attached that I just read. The only issue is that as I told you I'm not an expert on sql/php/html. From the first scratch of my side business idea I decided however, that I will do everything by myself - from suppliers over Italy, threw transportation, bureaucracy, sales. Inside this there is a web shop too. Googling I've found OSC and decided to give it a try. To be honest, doesn't matter what people say - I like it. So I started to tune it applying several contributions - my country language, theme, graphics made by me, shipping and payment modules, SEO modules. Every time applying my next thoughts.

And at the moment I'm in the moment where I just have almost everything working except the filters on side panel. And it would be a pity to back now to 2.2. But one question Bruyndoncx - the attributes you mention, can they be applied with different attributes for each main category in the shop?

It sounds strange that there is no any filtering box applied on originally implemented attributes in OSC. Just had advanced search with those attributes by neomodus mentioned few posts above, and it works well. Cut text search and it would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to the subject, some highlights for other noobs like me {if there are ;P}

I saw around this forum, as well as around the other that some people feel limited to standard product attributes, which in fact are more so called options. Many of us saw the shops with ability to filter products using their attributes.

I saw Year Make Model contribution that has minimal functionality needed, and can be easily modified from module supporting automotive stores to anything that would like to filter two text field and one numerical. With a bunch of code updates given in the support thread over years by other users it's even working. But it seems that part of the script is incompatible with seo contribution, which with no support from creator and no coding knowledge is a wall.

The other contribution which seems to be just great are mentioned above Product Specification, however not for 2.3.1. In the support thread it's mentioned that it's compatible with 2.3.1 code, however there is just drop on top files for version 2.2 attached. I even started comparing the code of 2.2 with contribution drop on top files and in a second step for each file with code of 2.3.1, but after few files I found completely different code structure in one of the files, so I dropped.

And yesterday I've found and installed Extra Product Fields. Works. Functional. You can add the the attribute, apply it to selected categories, than define possible values for attribute. Form front end it's possible to include those added attributes in the search, but in the way that advanced search becomes also a filter page (you don't have to type a text for search) and filter box too. If you search for something like this, give it a try.

Products Specifications has been updated to osCommerce 2.3.1. The file upload is still waiting for a moderator to approve it. I'll provide an alternate download in the support thread until that happens.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thanks Jim!

It came in the right moment before I started to upload the products. This way I will try to drop the Extra Product Fields for the moment and will test Product Specifications.

Regards

Szymon