• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

all my images have disappeared !

semper-linux

OSC V2.3.1

Hi Forum,

After having built up my webshop on my home PC, I've now uploaded it to the web server - www.custompc.ch/catalog/

Sadly, no images are being displayed including the banner.

'Images' directory and content all present and correct. Calculate image size set to true. I tried changing image widths and heights - no difference.

I think this is a Path problem as the Catalog / Categories / Products pane says 'image does not exist'

I can't see anywhere in Admin to set a path to the image folder (The 'old' path from the home PC installation may still be present.

Anyone any ideas ?

Many thanks,

semper-linux

Either permission problems or a problem with the .htaccess file in the images folder.

Trying to access an image directly with a browser yields a large bright red message:

Accès interdits

Zugriff verweigert

Access denied

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Hi Forum,

Thank you germ for your reply.

content of .htaccess in 'images'.................

"

# $Id$

#

# This is used to restrict access to this folder to anything other

# than images

# Prevents any script files from being accessed from the images folder

<FilesMatch "\.(php([0-9]|s)?|s?p?html|cgi|pl|exe)$">

Order Deny,Allow

Deny from all

</FilesMatch>

"

I commented out the commands in the .htaccess - no difference.

Permissions for 'images' dir. is set to 766 - readable / writeable.

I see what you mean - I tried to read the images directory and got a "403 - access forbidden"

I'm truly puzzled !

semper-linux

Hi Forum,

1) I've noticed that if I go to create a 'New product' in Admin, when I click on 'browse' to load an image, the path used is from my local PC - is this correct ?

I would have thought the system would have looked in /catalog/images/ on the web server.

2) When I go to edit an existing product in Categories/Products, I can click on the image name and that should call up the image. However, I get a '403 - access forbidden' instead of the image.

3) When I built the shop on my home pc, I put all the images in a separate sub-directory called 'machines'.

This had no effect on the 'local' shop i.e. all the images showed correctly although there was no reference to 'machines' in the configure.php files.

This is either wrong paths or access problems - not sure which.

I'll maybe contact the service provider to see if they can see anything.

semper-linux

The images folder should have 755 permissions (in a "perfect" world). Some server setups require 777 permissions (not good).

The individual images files should have 644 permissions.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

when I click on 'browse' to load an image, the path used is from my local PC - is this correct ?

I would have thought the system would have looked in /catalog/images/ on the web server.

If the intent is to create a new product entry, then typically it would be looking to upload image(s) from your PC. Is there some reason that you would expect a new product's images to already be in /catalog/images/? Have you manually uploaded your images to there?

When I go to edit an existing product in Categories/Products, I can click on the image name and that should call up the image. However, I get a '403 - access forbidden' instead of the image.

Check your permissions. Also check if you have "hotlinks protection" on your server, and do not yet have your store in the "whitelist" of those allowed to access images.

Hi Forum,

Thank you for your replies germ and MrPhil.

germ - images folder has 766 permissions - OSC says the images directory should be writeable.

All images have 644 permissions

MrPhil - I haven't uploaded any images (as yet). The site is still a pure copy from what I had on the PC at home.

Permissions info as above - everywhere is readable. In fact, when checking the directory security permission in OSC Admin / Tools, the permissions are exactly as recommended.

From the site control panel, there is a link to a site preview - I get a "404 - file not found" for that.

Also when I select the link for site statistics, I get a 403 again.

These are 'internal' links - I don't think I should be getting these responses.

Will check with the provider about 'hotlinks protection'. Unfortunately not going to get an answer from them before Monday now !

Thanks for the input.

semper-linux.

Hi Forum,

Just to reply that the mystery is solved.

I was using .PNG files but with no extension. When I uploaded these, the system didn't recognise them for some reason or another.

As soon as I realised this, I set about adding the .PNG extension to the file names. Apparently this then introduced an error into the files which made them unviewable !!

I re-uploaded the files (fully named), checked paths and permissions and it all worked - at last.

Thanks for your contributions guys.

semper-linux

Archived