• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Sorting

conaero

Hi, this is my first install of OSC and I am impressed, its all up and running, payment working fine and the shop is live.

The client came in today to pass it and he has requested that he needs a facility to sort the order the products display in, like you can with the categories.

Can anyone explain how I do this?

Is it a code hack or do I have to install something, if so, where do I download it from

Thans in advance.

Matt

he needs a facility to sort the order the products display in, like you can with the categories.

I'm a little confused by this question.

The categories are not sortable on the customer side. You can move around in the admin section but that is the extent of their sort ability. Conversely, products can be sorted on the customer side simply by clicking the product listing's headings Products Name+ sorts them alphabetically and Price can sort them by price.

Can you be a little more specific as to where exactly you're trying to sort the products? Are you talking about the admin side or the customer side?

Sorry.

What I am trying to do is custom sort the products in the admin/catalog/products.

I don't want to sort by date or price, I want to be able to number them and sort this way so I can specify the order

[...] this is my first install of OSC [...]

The client came in today [...]

Do you mean that you have a client and that you get paid to do this even you've never seen this software before? !

Anyway, search the addons, there is something called "product sort order"

Good luck to you and to your client

Ok, I have hade some success.

I have managed to get the new column in the database and I have got the function appearing in the Admin and applying and saving to the database but its not applying the products on the user website.

http://youngautomotivedirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=18_22&osCsid=rv8s33vpj4rngmpv1nf325km00

the 65mm length rim 11.5mm rim hole products has an sort of 1 and the other are decending down to 10

Anyone got any ideas, as I have spend a day and a half on this now. Its almost there, just the products on the user site are not sorting according to the database.

I'm going to assume you installed an add-on that only modified the admin section, which would likely be the only thing anybody has pre-coded since default oscommerce has a lot of customer side sorting already built into it. In such case how those are displayed in the admin section isn't going to affect how they are displayed in the customer section unless it was coded to do so.

Looking at the site, it appears to be a template site. In which case how the products are being displayed is not the standard listing which has the sort features.

A sample of how it would normally work you can see on my test site ... http:// www. onlinegamekey .com/index/index.php?cPath=21

I've only dealt with a few template sites and my experience says you oft don't get your moneys worth. Doing any sort of modification is more difficult because you have to know what oscommerce is suppose to do and then figure out what the template people are making it do and go from there.

Maybe somebody with some template experience will chime in. But officially, these forums don't support third party templates.

Good luck.

Ok, I have hade some success.

I have managed to get the new column in the database and I have got the function appearing in the Admin and applying and saving to the database but its not applying the products on the user website.

http://youngautomotivedirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=18_22&osCsid=rv8s33vpj4rngmpv1nf325km00

the 65mm length rim 11.5mm rim hole products has an sort of 1 and the other are decending down to 10

Anyone got any ideas, as I have spend a day and a half on this now. Its almost there, just the products on the user site are not sorting according to the database.

Hello Conaero.

At the moment I'm working to get these 3 product rows as you got on your site.

could you send me the lines or the codes, Im working on it for weeks now up and on. but did not succed until now. I did mannage to rebuild the whone layout, how ever this is the only part that need to be solved before going live.

Thanks for your help. For an amature newbe I think I did do a nice job until now ;)

Archived