• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

tax module is taxking

RebeccaL

That should read "tax module is taxing" not "taxking"

I have fresh installation of Online Merchant 2.3.1, and am having many, many problems. I hope someone can help, else I'll just have to abandon the product and stick with the PayPal buttons I've been using. I'm posting the issues in separate topics, for clarity. I hand coded my site in .html and .css, but I don't really understand .php.

This topic: tax module

My business is based in North Carolina, which charges sales tax on all digital and physical goods sold. If my customer is also in NC (or the sale takes place in NC) I need to charge sales tax. Now, here's where it gets complicated. There is a state rate and then different counties have different rates of their own but they all currently charge one of three rates: 2%, 2.25% and 3%.

The documentation says when I click on a heading (such as North Carolina) it should give me option of geographical location. All I end up with is the ability to select a country and state. At least PayPal lets me enter zip codes to determine which taxes to charge based upon the user's address. Is there something I am missing? Or will PayPal do this according to what I already have entered there? Assuming I can get the Website Payments Standard module to show up (separate post).

Thanks, all.

Rebecca,

You will have to create a zone for the state, and then zones for each county. There are contributions (not for North Carolina, but for other states that have county taxes) that you can download and use as a model to create your tax tables.

Chris

Yes, you will have to adapt one of the tax contributions to map ZIP Codes and city names to tax zones. Unfortunately, state sales tax systems were set up independently of mail addresses, so there's no easy way to get from an address (particularly a ZIP Code) to a tax jurisdiction or zone number. To make things worse, sometimes individual counties or even cities are allowed to set different rules on what's taxable, etc. In the age of the Web, states are going to have to get their act together and rationalize their sales tax setups so that it's reasonable for merchants anywhere (not just within the purchaser's state) to collect and remit the proper sales tax. Otherwise, they're going to lose out on most of their tax revenue, plus thousands of brick-and-mortar stores will go out of business.

Rebecca,

You will have to create a zone for the state, and then zones for each county. There are contributions (not for North Carolina, but for other states that have county taxes) that you can download and use as a model to create your tax tables.

Chris

Chris - I have not been able to get the software to allow me to do anything more than create a zone with generic information - name, %, state and country - but I can't enter any specifics, such as zip code to attach to the tax rate so the software knows when to charge it. Do you know how I am supposed to do that? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. It took me a little bit that by contribution you meant add-on, but I did find one that has been through several mods and is out of date data wise, but had all the files necessary and even had all the counties for NC. NC changes sales tax amounts every few months, so I can't complain about it being out of date, I was thankful I didn't have to do major modifications to the files. Thank you.

Archived