• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Front-End botch

RebeccaL

I have fresh installation of Online Merchant 2.3.1, and am having many, many problems. I hope someone can help, else I'll just have to abandon the product and stick with the PayPal buttons I've been using. I'm posting the issues in separate topics, for clarity. I hand coded my site in .html and .css, but I don't really understand .php.

This issue - I would like to make the catalog look like a part of my site, but I don't know .php, and I can't find any .html pages to manipulate. Also, the logo is coming up wonky (ugly - see here). Can anyone help? Even if I could make the catalog open up in a container in my .html page, that would be great because my logo and site name are on my header already.

Thank you.

Rebecca,

osCommerce is a self contained ecommerce solution, there is NO HTML. Integrating osCommerce into your current site via a link from your HTML page is not a problem, but once inside osCommerce it is all PHP. There are threads on this forum on how to change the layout and functionality. Here are a couple:

Basics of Design v2.3.1

v2.3.1 Road Map

Chris

A quick fix for the immediate problem of the menu bar and logo overlap is to find the #header entry in one of the .css files, and change the height from 60px to 210px (that allows a 10px bottom margin on your 200px high logo... there are other ways to do it). Use something like the Firefox browser and Firebug plug-in to make it easy to find what's what. You can also View > Page source to see just what the browser is working with. Note that you will not find any HTML corresponding to what you see -- it's all generated on the fly by PHP.

As mentioned, osC is a standalone store application. It's best to leave it in its own directory /catalog, and put a link to it from your site's main/landing page. Once things settle down, you can find out how to put a button in the store to go back to the main page. Be aware that shoppers will lose their shopping cart content and sign on when they jump back, so be careful. Such a button should only be used if they have finished checking out, or if they are willing to abandon their cart. If the cart is empty (such as after checkout), label it "leave store"; if it has products in it, label it "abandon cart". That can be done in PHP.

A quick fix for the immediate problem of the menu bar and logo overlap is to find the #header entry in one of the .css files, and change the height from 60px to 210px (that allows a 10px bottom margin on your 200px high logo... there are other ways to do it). Use something like the Firefox browser and Firebug plug-in to make it easy to find what's what. You can also View > Page source to see just what the browser is working with. Note that you will not find any HTML corresponding to what you see -- it's all generated on the fly by PHP.

As mentioned, osC is a standalone store application. It's best to leave it in its own directory /catalog, and put a link to it from your site's main/landing page. Once things settle down, you can find out how to put a button in the store to go back to the main page. Be aware that shoppers will lose their shopping cart content and sign on when they jump back, so be careful. Such a button should only be used if they have finished checking out, or if they are willing to abandon their cart. If the cart is empty (such as after checkout), label it "leave store"; if it has products in it, label it "abandon cart". That can be done in PHP.

Thank you. I will try that and keep the loss of information issue in mind as I integrate, and maybe set the link to open in a separate window so they can browse the content and add products to the site without having to choose one or the other. I am a publisher, so my customers generally read several pages, add a product, view other pages, add another product. I'll just be sure my links target to another window or tab. Thank you.

Rebecca,

osCommerce is a self contained ecommerce solution, there is NO HTML. Integrating osCommerce into your current site via a link from your HTML page is not a problem, but once inside osCommerce it is all PHP. There are threads on this forum on how to change the layout and functionality. Here are a couple:

Basics of Design v2.3.1

v2.3.1 Road Map

Chris

Thank you for the links, I have looked at the content and think I may be capable enough with the CSS side to allow me to make the catalog look like a part of my site without completely wrecking the layout, now that I know how to modify the header space and background. Thank you very, very much.

Archived