• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

shifting product prices

RebeccaL

I have fresh installation of Online Merchant 2.3.1, and am having many, many problems. I hope someone can help, else I'll just have to abandon the product and stick with the PayPal buttons I've been using. I'm posting the issues in separate topics, for clarity. I hand coded my site in .html and .css, but I don't really understand .php.

This issue: shifting product prices.

There seems to be some automatic calculations going on in the products screen of the admin interface. I can enter a price in the "net" or the "gross" but it automatically calculates the other, and I do not know why or how.

Can someone explain what it is doing and how I make it stop? thanks.

Rebecca,

The net price is the price before taxes. The gross is SUPPOSED to be the price with taxes, however this is not always accurate especially if you have a multi-tear tax rate. Although this may not appear correct on the categories.php page, it will calculate correctly during the checkout process as long as your tax rates are set up properly.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Since osCommerce is a web app that sells products hopefully to people outside of where you have your business physically located how is this "feature" even relevant?

Tax is not charged for interstate sales in many cases and for some setups tax would depend on the location of the buyer Not the Admin/store and would change for every transaction to differently located buyers so this number doesn't relate to anything truly useful does it?

Cameron,

I am not sure where you are located, but in most of Canada and the USA tax is charged to customers that are located in the same state / province as the selling store. For example, if the store is located in Florida, all sales to residents of Florida would pay the 8.75% tax rate. If a customer in Nevada orders from the website, the store owner would not collect taxes from that customer.

Take note that there is talk of changing the tax system to charge taxes from every purchase made from the store's home state / province. To the best of my knowledge this new tax concept has not been implemented in any state or province in Canada or the USA YET. But, it is a possible change for the future.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding :)

Exactly!

Gross seems useless as it is irrelevant to the admin as customers depending on their location will see different total so why is it even there? Does it have some mystery function or is only useful to people that only sell to customers in their own state?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding smile.png

Exactly!

Gross seems useless as it is irrelevant to the admin as customers depending on their location will see different total so why is it even there? Does it have some mystery function or is only useful to people that only sell to customers in their own state?

I agree, the gross field is redundant.

Chris

Archived