• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do i ?

Hello i'm after information on how to switch from my vistaprint website and start using osCommerce shopping cart instead.

There is no easy way to just switch and walla you're up and running.

You'll need

1. A domain name

2. A hosting service (a real one not vista print).

2a. If you don't already have a domain name ie your site is fluffymuffins.vistaprint.com then you'll need to buy a domain name but most host will register it for you if you start a hosting package with them.

3. Download OSC http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads or most host have auto installers for OSC so you can just use it.

4. Add your products and payment methods.

5. customize your site

Or if 3-5 doesn't sound like your cup of tea then there are people who will do it for you. All-be-it for a price.

There is no easy way to just switch and walla you're up and running.

You'll need

1. A domain name

2. A hosting service (a real one not vista print).

2a. If you don't already have a domain name ie your site is fluffymuffins.vistaprint.com then you'll need to buy a domain name but most host will register it for you if you start a hosting package with them.

3. Download OSC http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/downloads or most host have auto installers for OSC so you can just use it.

4. Add your products and payment methods.

5. customize your site

Or if 3-5 doesn't sound like your cup of tea then there are people who will do it for you. All-be-it for a price.

Thank you for your reply. what do you recommend me to use as so far ive had 650 visitors to my vista print but no sales.

Hey Nick,

I pretty much outlined what needs to be done, which would also be my suggestion.

I don't know if you have a domain or just a vista print shop name.

If you don't have a domain name you'll need to purchase one, and if you're serious about setting up a real web site then you should look for a host that registers it with your hosting package. This typically is around $75 per year.

I've used, avahost.com, bluehost.com, 1&1host.com, inmotionhosting.com to name a few. These are all host which have oscommerce as a auto install through their cpanels (control panel).

Once you purchase hosting package and domain name you can start working on your site. Just install oscommerce and start modifying it to your liking, add products and payment methods, PayPal credit card, whatever you're going to accept.

Once you have your shop built. Start submitting it to search engines, and begin the process of getting your name out there. Hit your target community forums start letting people know your there. Treat your customers right and they'll recommend you giving you more links and exposure then you could possibly do alone.

Thats how to start a successful web site in a nutshell.

I had vistaprint also. I switched to inmotion. I used a template they offer, set up my main site. Went in the index pages and made some color and font changes to my liking. You can purchase your domain name from Vista print for $20. It can be switched to the new hosting service in 60 days, but you can change the name server to your new host immediately. Vista Print can send you the site to do this if you purchase your domain name.

Load up OSCommerce. Set it up. Add in all the addons for shipping, billing and so fourth. Go to Bing and Google and Norton and get tags for your sight. They will eventually crawl your sight and add it to the searches.

Hope that helps....

Allen

Archived