• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Buy now and add to cart, but just want to go straight to paypal. No accounts.

Lovelock

Craig,

ALL osCommerce purchases require SOME information. It is required by law, especially if the customer makes a payment using a credit card.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

That's not exactly a correct answer, Chris. I can appreciate why everyone gets so frustrated - I'm now an experience developer and I am still frustrated by so many things...

First of all, PayPal Express will do what Lovelock wants - and WPP should also do what you want if you manage to adapt the instructions to work with your osCommerce setup. In the WPP instructions you have to modify one of the shopping_cart.php where you add a 'PayPal Checkout' button after the normal 'checkout' button. Simply comment out the normal checkout button. The user will click to check out with PayPal:

1. If they have a PayPal account they will sign in and confirm their shipping address or

2. If they don't have a PayPal account they can create one or enter in their details

THEN

they get forwarded BACK to your website's payment confirmation page, which has now fetched all their PayPal shipping details.

They press 'confirm' and the transaction is done!

Some problems...

The cart details might not get passed to the PayPal transaction.

I managed to find a way to pass the cart contents by referring to the PayPal API. When they wrote the OsCommerce PayPal Express module they used PayPal API version 3.5 -- we are now on 70+!! So there is now so much more you can do than before.

But what I can't figure out is how to do is this (step 4):

1. Customer adds products to the shopping cart and click the "Checkout with PayPal" or "PayPal Express" button

2. Customer logs in to their PayPal account and confirms their shipping address

3. Customer is returned to website and OsCommerce has fetched their shipping address from PayPal

4. Customer chooses a shipping method based on their postcode from PayPal

One final comment...

PayPal also has their own 'shopping cart' which works like this:

You create 'buy' buttons or 'add to cart' buttons that work on any webpage.

each 'button' is an HTML form kinda like this (example only):

<html>

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/blahblah">

<input type="hidden" name="product-name" value="My Widget">

<input type="hidden" name="product-price" value="99">

<input type="hidden" name="product-qty" value="1">

<input type="submit" value="http://www.paypal.com/buybutton.gif">

</form>

</html>

You could use these 'forms' and hack your OsCommerce website so that instead of adding to the OsCommerce website, they add to your PayPal cart -- but please note there would be absolutely no other functionality like reducing your stock levels, creating customers in your database, emailing them from your website, marking orders as dispatched etc etc.. but it's an option if you just want to build your website in OsCommerce and use it to add products.

</form>