• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

User Tracking with Admin 1.31 Released

Druide

Hi,

I love this contrib too. Very useful. Just like the recover carts contrib.

However, I think I have a problem. My tracking screen never shows an originating URL. that feild is always blank for all of my visitors logs in User Tracking.

Can someone tell me if this feature is still in development or if perhaps I need to make some change in order to make it work? This would be an especially great feature of this contrib if I could get it working.

Thanks.

Edited by cxm322

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just installed this and included the Alverman fix from page 30 of this thread and it is all working very well. Thnaks to all who have developed this useful mod.

Can this be used to record what browser and version the user is using? I'd find that really useful to see if users of any particular browser are having trouble with my payment pages.

Thanks

Tim

Thanks.

I must have missed that post.

I mad eht changes and now the referring URL is showing. that's great.

HOWEVER.

I jsut noticed something. This is unrealated to the referring URL fix. I noticed this happening before I mad ethe fix.

I noticed that within my user tracking, once the customer moves on to the secured pages for checkout, the user tracking shows a different session ID for every visited page after that within the checkout process.

I am not sure if this is affecting the customer's ability to checkout, though. I have noticed that soem of the checkout trackings are showing multiple views for the same page. FOr instance, one of my latest customers shows to have visited the delivery information page 3 times in a row. Very strange.

I checked out myself and I found the same thing to happen. Not the multiple page views but the changing of the session ID. It changes within the user tracking but not in the actual checkout process.

Anyone notice this? If so, is it posing a problem? ANy fix for it?

Thanks.

Just thought I'd post a copy of one of my customers user tracking strings to show you wha ti mean...

20:11:42:  Your Order Has Been Submitted!  /shop/checkout_success.php?osCsid=3098fd
d001719133d02af9851a4302

20:11:01:  Order Confirmation /shop/checkout_confirmation.php?osCsid=3
098fdd001719133d02af9851

20:09:11:  Payment Information  /shop/checkout_payment.php?osCsid=3098fd
d001719133d02af9851a4302

20:08:41:  Delivery Information  /shop/checkout_shipping.php?osCsid=3098f
dd001719133d02af9851a430

20:07:57:  Delivery Information  /shop/checkout_shipping_address.php?osCs
id=3098fdd001719133d02af

20:07:32:  Delivery Information  /shop/checkout_shipping.php?osCsid=3098f
dd001719133d02af9851a430

20:06:26:  My Account Information  /shop/create_account.php?guest_account=t
rue&osCsid=3098fdd001719

20:06:02:  Welcome, Please Sign In  /shop/login.php?origin=checkout_shipping
.php&osCsid=3098fdd00171

20:05:48:  Your Shopping Cart  /shop/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=3098fdd00
1719133d02af9851a430256

20:05:26:  Your Shopping Cart  /shop/shopping_cart.php?osCsid=3098fdd00
1719133d02af9851a430256

20:04:12:  Product Name /shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products
_id=60&osCsid=3098fdd001

20:03:55:  Product Category /shop/index.php?cPath=26&osCsid=3098fdd0
01719133d02af9851a430256

20:03:31:  What's New Here?  /shop/

Also. I just noticed that this only happens for the secured pages. Once you go to a non-secured page, the user tracking shows the corrct session ID. Every wierd.

Edited by cxm322

Oh. And one last thing. I just noticed that ever since I included the fix for the referring URL, my user tracking page loads in instantly.

Before the fix, it took 50-60 seconds to load in. Go figure.

This contrib is great and even greater with the referring url working.

Thanx a bunch!!!

Further to my previous post I have added the user's browser to the user tracking pages. Here's how I did it.

Note: these instructions assume you already added the referer_url mod from page 30 of this thread.

Add a new field to the user_tracking table:

visit_browser varchar(128) NOT NULL default ''

In admin/includes/language/english/user_tracking.php add this line:

define('TEXT_VISIT_BROWSER', 'User Browser ');

In admin/user_tracking.php

Find:

tep_db_query("select customer_id, full_name, ip_address, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, page_desc, referer_url," .

Change to:

tep_db_query("select customer_id, full_name, ip_address, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, page_desc, referer_url, visit_browser," .

Find:

$user_tracking[$whos_online['session_id']]['referer_url']=$whos_online['referer_url'];

Below it add:

$user_tracking[$whos_online['session_id']]['visit_browser']=$whos_online['visit_browser'];

Find:

$user_tracking[$whos_online['session_id']]['last_page_url'][$whos_online['time_last_click']] = $whos_online['last_page_url'];

Below it add:

$user_tracking[$whos_online['session_id']]['visit_browser2'][$whos_online['time_last_click']] = $whos_online['visit_browser'];

Find (this is from the referer_url mod):

<td class="dataTableContent" align="left" valign="top" colspan=3><?php echo '<a href="'. $ut['value']['referer_url'] .'" target="_new">'. $ut['value']['referer_url'] .'</a>'; ?> </td>

Below it add:

<tr> 
       <td class="dataTableContent" align="right" valign="top"><b><?php echo TEXT_VISIT_BROWSER ?></b></td> 
       <td class="dataTableContent" align="left" valign="top" colspan=3><?php echo $ut['value']['visit_browser']; ?> </td>
      <tr>

Find:

while (($pu = each($ut['value']['last_page_url']))&&($du = each($ut['value']['page_desc'])))

Change to:

while (($pu = each($ut['value']['last_page_url']))&&($du = each($ut['value']['page_desc']))&&($bu = each($ut['value']['visit_browser2'])))

Find:

<td class="dataTableContent" width=100% align="left"><a href="<?php echo $pu['value']; ?>" target="_new"><?php echo chunk_split($pu['value'],40,"<br>"); ?></a></td>

Below it add:

<td class="dataTableContent" width=100% align="left"><?php echo chunk_split($bu['value'],40,"<br>"); ?></td>

In admin/includes/functions/

Find:

$current_time = time();

Below it add:

$wo_visit_browser = strtolower(getenv('HTTP_USER_AGENT'));

Find:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_USER_TRACKING . " (customer_id, full_name, session_id, ip_address, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, page_desc, referer_url) values ('" . $wo_customer_id . "', '" . $wo_full_name . "', '" . $wo_session_id . "', '" . $wo_ip_address . "', '" . $current_time . "', '" . $current_time . "', '" . $wo_last_page_url . "', '" . $page_desc . "', '" . $wo_referer_url . "')");

Change to:

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_USER_TRACKING . " (customer_id, full_name, session_id, ip_address, time_entry, time_last_click, last_page_url, page_desc, referer_url, visit_browser) values ('" . $wo_customer_id . "', '" . $wo_full_name . "', '" . $wo_session_id . "', '" . $wo_ip_address . "', '" . $current_time . "', '" . $current_time . "', '" . $wo_last_page_url . "', '" . $page_desc . "', '" . $wo_referer_url . "', '" . $wo_visit_browser . "')");

I think that's everything. This will display the browser in the main session display. It will also display the browser used for each click when a session is viewed. Why? In case user changes browser during session - unlikely I know, but possible.

If anyone has a browser list that can be used to interpret the long-winded browser names into short, easy to view names I'd appreciate it.

For instance, when I see:

mozilla/4.0 (compatible; msie 6.0; windows nt 5.1; .net clr 1.1.4322)

It would be nice to have it display:

Internet Explorer 6.0

If this doesn't work let me know, I may have missed something.

Tim

AOOW!!

I can?t get it to work even thou i instaled the alveman fix, but i think that the reason is that i didn?t put right code in admin/includes/footer.php.

Please tell me.

how is it supposed to look ?

<?php

/*

$Id: footer.php,v 1.12 2003/02/17 16:54:12 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

?>

<br>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText">

<?php

/*

The following copyright announcement is in compliance

to section 2c of the GNU General Public License, and

thus can not be removed, or can only be modified

appropriately.

For more information please read the following

Frequently Asked Questions entry on the osCommerce

support site:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community.php/faq,26/q,50

Please leave this comment intact together with the

following copyright announcement.

*/

?>

E-Commerce Engine Copyright © 2003 <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a><br>

osCommerce provides no warranty and is redistributable under the <a href="http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt" target="_blank">GNU General Public License</a>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'pixel_trans.gif', '', '1', '5'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText">Powered by <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a></td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

require('/public_html/catalog/' . DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'user_tracking.php');

if ( ADMIN_CONFIG_USER_TRACKING == 'true') { tep_update_user_tracking(); }

?>

I guess that im making a mistake in this part

<?php

require('/public_html/catalog/' . DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'user_tracking.php');

?>

One more thing..

where in Catalog/includes/footer.php shall i put this text ?

Add to catalog/includes/footer.php (at the bottom):

<?php

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'user_tracking.php');

if ( OSC_CONFIG_USER_TRACKING == 'true') { tep_update_user_tracking(); }

?>

<?php

/*

$Id: footer.php,v 1.26 2003/02/10 22:30:54 hpdl Exp $

F?r att f? tillbax den allm?nna r?knaren p? sidan, s?k efter  "    <td class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>

" klista in p? raden under:

<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?>  </td>

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

?php echo "Din IP Address ?r: " . $rmtIP; ?>

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');

?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

<tr class="footer">

<td class="footer">  <?php echo "Din IP Address ?r: " . $rmtIP; ?></td>

<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>

</tr>

</table>

<br>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText">

<?php

/*

The following copyright announcement can only be

appropriately modified or removed if the layout of

the site theme has been modified to distinguish

itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted

theme.

For more information please read the following

Frequently Asked Questions entry on the osCommerce

support site:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community.php/faq,26/q,50

Please leave this comment intact together with the

following copyright announcement.

*/

echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY

?>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {

?>

<br>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td align="center"><?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

}

?>

<?php

///////////////////

// [0001] WebMakers.com Added: Center Shop

// This goes at the very end of the footer after all the tables

///////////////////

if ( CENTER_SHOP_ON == 'on' ) {

///////////////////

// [0001] close table used to center

///////////////////

?>

</td></tr>

</table>

<?php

if ( CENTER_SHOP_BACKGROUND_ON == 'on' ) {

///////////////////

// [0001] Add color to bottom of screen for large displays - needed especially on notebooks that run at 1600x1200

// close table used for outer bgcolor around the shop

///////////////////

?>

</td></tr>

<tr><td height="150"> </td></tr>

</table>

<?php

}

}

///////////////////

// [0001] EOF: WebMakers.com Added: Center Shop

///////////////////

///////////////////

So i guess that i need to know where i should input the text-string in both admin/includes and catalog/includes

please help

Semmi

You don't need the public_html/catalog path in the footer.php code sections. It goes right at the bottom and looks like this:

Admin:

<?php
 require('../../catalog/' . DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'user_tracking.php');
?>

Catalog:

<?php
  require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'user_tracking.php');
 if ( OSC_CONFIG_USER_TRACKING == 'true') { tep_update_user_tracking(); }
?>

Only change if you have renamed the catalog directory to something else. This should really be changed to one of the paths from configure.php - I'll look at that later.

Tim

i reinstalled it and did exactly like it says in the readme, and i installed the alveman fix, but it still dosn?t seems to work.

i guess that i just wait for another release on this contrib and then install it.

i just can?t figure out what is wrong. does anyone know if there is another version upcomming that is compatible w MS 2.2 `?

thnx for the help anyway

Hi,

Just installed this contrib and works great! Very impressed!

Just one quick question, what is the GeoIP.dat file used for?

Apologies for asking, this is a big thread and have been through last 5 pages without seeing any mention.

Thanks,

Damo

I've just noticed that when I access the user tracking pages of my site it appends the session id to the end of the url.

Is there any reason for this - my site uses cookies and normally the session id is not visible in the url.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Damo

Couple of questions:

Why do some records in my user tracking come up with HEADING_TITLE? I presume I need to update something on the page its referring to?

Also if I've addded new pages, how can I get these to be tracked - the new pages dont used application_top.php or footer.php - its a little media player pop up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Damo

damo

Look in the language file for that file if there is one. User tracking accesses the HEADING_TITLE within the language file. If it isn't there you can just add it in.

For your media player I should think you need to insert all the extra lines that you added to application_top.php and footer.php into the media player file. I'm not sure this will work though. You migh need to play around with it a lot more than that.

Tim

Look in the language file for that file if there is one.  User tracking accesses the HEADING_TITLE within the language file.  If it isn't there you can just add it in.

Ahh, I've posted this question twice and never got a reply. Thanks for finally clearing it up. The only time I see this problem is with the advanced_search.php file. It doesn't use HEADING_TITLE so that would explain it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi guys,

Cheers for you HEADING_TITLE help!

I've noticed something else - I get some users with out a sesion id showing in user tracking. It seems to be getting confused as the entries in view session dont make sense in terms of time. i.e they may start after they have finished.

What could cause this? Does anyone know? Who could be accessing with out a session id?

From the ip/host info it just looks like a normal user.

FYI I have force cookies set to true.

Thanks in advance,

Damo

Another query, I've added the Alverman fix for referrer URL but it seems to show the URL the vistor entered the site on, not where he came from.

Ie. if I create page on another domain with link to my OSC site in user tracking the originating url just comes up as my OSC index page?

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Damo

To clarify my post above;

I created a link to my OSC site from another domain. I follow that link to my OSC site then make a few clicks around the OSC site.

Then in a separate window I go into the user tracking page. I can see an entry with the correct referrer but only one click and no session id.

All the clicks I made appear as a separate entry with a session id.

i'm a bit confused.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Damo

<_< Hi all, I am new to osCommerce and have several sites running it. I am having a problem with the user tracking contribution on one site only. It appears that the session id is being used by numerous visitors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks