• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon] Categories Accordion Box for 2.3.1

kymation

I have a small problem... whenever I make a change to my categories (i.e. add or remove a category) it is not reflected on the site...

Seems like I have a caching issue? Any help would be appreciated.

I see this in the CacheControl section:

TEXT_CACHE_CATEGORIES_ACCORDION File does not exist

Thanks

Andrew

Look in your cache directory using FTP or your host's control panel. Delete any files in that directory. If that doesn't help, the problem is elsewhere.

Regards

Jim

Worked thanks !!

Great Contrib BTW!

One question do I have to do that everytime?

Edited by AndrewBevan

Yes. I recommend that you turn off the cache while you are updating, then delete the cache files and enable the cache when you are done. Or just turn the cache off and leave it off if it doesn't have a significant impact.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi I wonder if you can help please,

I installed this and then went to my admin panel and installed the module, but when I click to edit the module suddenly the edit box disappears and then the site crashes saying that google chrome could not connect (to the actual site and the admin panel) and I also lose connection the the ftp- what have I done wrong please?

That's a new one -- I've never had an error that crashed the browser. Maybe this is a Chrome thing. Try Firefox and see if the same thing happens.

Whatever happens with the browser, the most likely error is not having all of the files in the right places. Check each one carefully. If the files are there, check that each on has the same file size (or close) as the corresponding file in the distribution.

Regards

Jim

Ok- just tried IE and also mobile and it just says cannot load page.

I backup up just before so reinstated my backup, checked it all worked fine, then tried to install this addon again, going super slow to double check everything and still the same thing? As the site stands atm I dont have any other addons at all, the only thing I have edited it the header so far.

I'm sorry I have no idea how to do that (I'm very green and trying to learn from these forums as I go!)

Out of interest, when the site does go down, I wait about 20mins without doing anything and it comes back again of its own accord. The ftp error I am getting is Error=0x8007274c, but when I google that it just seems like thats a timeout error?

Ask your host for the PHP error logs. You might want to talk to them anyway, since whatever you are doing appears to be crashing the server. I've done that before, and the host generally does not like it, so they may be inclined to be helpful. Tell them you need to know the error to fix the problem.

While we're waiting for an answer from your host: Are you using all of the files from the distribution package as is? Are you editing those files? Are you FTPing in text mode?

Regards

Jim

I simply downloaded the addon and installed the files as they were in the download- didn't edit anything and the only one that overwrote anything was the cache, but your instructions said that would be the case. I may just reinstate all the files from the backup (this addon was a distraction, I was actually trying to find out how to put 'squares' in the centre section!)

I'm sorry, people like me with such little knowledge must drive you mad- I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to get a half decent website up for a friend- problem is I see so many things I like the look of and get ideas above my ability :(

Edited by Toni Green

I would really like to know how you managed to crash a browser -- and the server -- with this code. It shouldn't be possible. If there is something that I can do to prevent this happening, I'd like to do that.

In any case, the best way to learn osCommerce is by doing things. I learned this by making mistakes and fixing them, so don't worry that you are doing the same thing.

Regards

Jim

I checked the site this morning after the server crashing for hours last night, and I have my accordian buttons (which look much better btw), but when I go to the admin button to edit the order the admin panel looks like this:

adminpanel1.jpg

Then when I click on the button to edit the module, I lose the whole edit box area like below and the server crashes for God knows how long!

adminpanel2.jpg

I haven't had a reply from the host yet, but as soon as I do I will post it up-just thought this funky new admin layout might be a clue to someone in the know!

That tells me that your problems are probably unrelated to this Addon. First, whenever you see strings of words in all caps and separated by underscores, that means that one of the language files is damaged or missing. In this case I would say that is admin/includes/languages/english.php.

Second, your second image shows that other modules are being read after the Accordion Box module. If the Accordion Box were the problem it would be the last to appear on the list, as the server would crash at the point the module is read in. This means that some other file in your Admin area is corrupt or missing. It may just be the language file I mentioned above, or it may be other files as well.

You need to check your Admin side files for damaged or missing files. Or you could just upload all of the files (except the includes/configure.php) again.

Regards

Jim

I tried again this morning- reinstalled all my files, checked and it was all ok. Then installed this addon again, and although the text in my admin area is now not all in capitals and everything looks 'normal', it still does the thing where when I click to edit the module (ie to change the order of display) the edit box disappears and it crashes the server?

This is the error log my host gave me, but it looks quite generic- I'm hoping your more knowledgeable eye will pick something out as the mod certainly makes the menu look a million times better

[sun Mar 25 09:33:32 2012] [error] [client 86.19.197.67] File does not exist: /var/www/vhosts/caleda.co.uk/httpdocs/favicon.ico, referer: http://www.caleda.co.uk/

[sun Mar 25 10:23:23 2012] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.caleda.co.uk' does NOT match server name!?

[sun Mar 25 10:29:24 2012] [warn] RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) `www.caleda.co.uk' does NOT match server name!?

[sun Mar 25 12:15:55 2012] [error] [client 222.58.151.67] Invalid URI in request GET HTTP/1.1 HTTP/1.1

[sun Mar 25 12:15:55 2012] [error] [client 222.58.151.67] ModSecurity: [file "/etc/httpd/modsecurity.d/09_asl_rules.conf"] [line "37"] [id "330790"] [rev "1"] [msg "Apache Error: Invalid URI in Request"] [data "[file \\x22/builddir/build/BUILD/httpd-2.2.3/server/core.c\\x22] [line 3492] [level 3] Invalid URI in request GET HTTP/1.1 HTTP/1.1"] [severity "CRITICAL"] Warning. String match "Invalid URI in request" at WEBSERVER_ERROR_LOG. [hostname "80.82.125.135"] [uri "/error_docs/bad_request.html"] [unique_id "YaNWrS63CB0AABnoS0QAAAAF"]

[sun Mar 25 15:36:39 2012] [error] [client 86.19.197.67] PHP Warning: reset(): Passed variable is not an array or object in /var/www/vhosts/caleda.co.uk/httpdocs/admin/modules.php on line 227, referer: http://www.caleda.co.uk/admin/login.php

[sun Mar 25 15:36:39 2012] [error] [client 86.19.197.67] PHP Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /var/www/vhosts/caleda.co.uk/httpdocs/admin/modules.php on line 228, referer: http://www.caleda.co.uk/admin/login.php

That error log is depressingly normal. There's nothing there that would give me any idea what is happening.

The Accordion box is a very simple Addon. It just adds a slightly different version of a standard module. If something this simple breaks your server, your chances of successfully installing something more complex don't look good.

Talk to your host. Tell them that this should not be happening. Ask them to tell you what is crashing the server. Ask for specifics.

Also, please check your version of PHP and MySQL in your osC Admin panel (Tools >> Server Info) and post them here.

Regards

JIm

I did install the Modular Front Page no worries yesterday, but didnt back up between then and this so when this went wrong and I put my backup back on, I obviously lost the modular front page.

PHP Version:

5.2.17 (Zend: 2.2.0)

Database: MySQL 5.1.56-log

I don't see anything there to cause a problem. Modular Front Page is just as simple as this one, even though it has more modules. I can think of no reason why one would work and the other not. Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. Unless your host can come up with a cause, or I have a sudden inspiration.

Regards

Jim

Hi kymation, husband of Toni here!

We tried again with a tottally fresh installation.

We deleted the database, deleted all OScommerce files and did a tottally fresh installation.

I installed the Modular Front Page addon - this seemed to work fine

I then installed the Accordion Box menu and exactly the same thing happened (clicked 'edit' and the server crashes!).

I know you probably have nothing that you can suggest, but I just wanted to let you know that this is happening for us on a totally clean installation of OSC.

We really want a nice looging categories meu, are there any other addon's from another developer that are similar? Its a real shame it looks like we cannot use yours as it looks fantastic.

Thanks for any help

The Accordion menu is stock jQuery UI. It's not even a plugin. The module is a copy of the stock Categories module with the jQuery styling added. There's very little difference between this module and the stock modules.

Causing a server crash using nothing but PHP is really really difficult. That's why I suggested that you talk to your host. The most likely explanation is something in the server setup. I've installed this on several stores, and lots of other people are using it as well. You're the only ones who have reported this problem. I would definitely like to know what is causing this if you find out.

There are no other Addons like this, since they would be essentially identical. You could probably mimic the styling using CSS on the stock Categories module. It wouldn't be tied to the theme, since the styling would be in the local stylesheet, but it should look reasonably similar.

Regards

Jim

Ok, I like this add on. It looks better.

However, I can't figure a couple of things out.

1. How to change the color of the them. I know you said to use the roll over theme editor, but for some reason that has never worked for me either.

2. The main cats are correct, but all the subs still look the same underneath them.

3. Also, I know we can change the Icons to whatever is on that list, can we change them to any image we want? My wife does graphics, and I know she would want to use her own if possible.

My web site so you can see what I am talking about: http://www.RonisRingsNThings.com

Edited by Ninety-one Maro