• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Process to get approved for payment processing

heartstooken13

This is my first time trying to find a payment processor to allow my website to accept online payment transactions. I am unfamiliar with the process of what needs to occur once I have identified a provider I would like to work with. I was wondering what steps are needed and how long the process usually takes in getting "approved" to work with a payment processor?

I am charting unfamiliar territory, so any help to clarify the expectations would be greatly appreciated. Also, my assumption is that once I find the payment processor (whether that be Authorize.net, Paypal, etc.), all I need is to have my programmers setup the shopping cart and that should be it... Please correct me if I'm missing anything (I already have a regular business bank account, so hopefully this is sufficient to accept payments into). Thank you!

This is my first time trying to find a payment processor to allow my website to accept online payment transactions. I am unfamiliar with the process of what needs to occur once I have identified a provider I would like to work with. I was wondering what steps are needed and how long the process usually takes in getting "approved" to work with a payment processor?

I am charting unfamiliar territory, so any help to clarify the expectations would be greatly appreciated. Also, my assumption is that once I find the payment processor (whether that be Authorize.net, Paypal, etc.), all I need is to have my programmers setup the shopping cart and that should be it... Please correct me if I'm missing anything (I already have a regular business bank account, so hopefully this is sufficient to accept payments into). Thank you!

One of the criteria for selecting a payment processor should be ease of installation. I chose a processor that provides a drop in payment module that required uploading two files in the correct place, then configuring it. No code changes at all. And the module was provided by the processor and not by the add ons section here. That tells me that if ANYTHING changes my processor will provide an updated module.

The company faxed me the forms which I completed and faxed back. The next day I am able to accept credit card payments.

Of course, I have an existing relationship with this company but as I recall it was the same for the first as it was for the last application I submitted.

Community Bootstrap Edition, Edge

Avoid the most asked question. See How to Secure My Site and How do I...?

So who is the company you used?

One of the criteria for selecting a payment processor should be ease of installation. I chose a processor that provides a drop in payment module that required uploading two files in the correct place, then configuring it. No code changes at all. And the module was provided by the processor and not by the add ons section here. That tells me that if ANYTHING changes my processor will provide an updated module.

The company faxed me the forms which I completed and faxed back. The next day I am able to accept credit card payments.

Of course, I have an existing relationship with this company but as I recall it was the same for the first as it was for the last application I submitted.

Edited by busterw

You need a "merchant account" to process credit cards. A standard business or checking account won't do. The merchant account usually comes WITH a payment gateway. So they process the charges, THEN send them on to your standard bank account via electronic transfer(just like Paypal).

I use CDGcommerce for my stores(and am a reseller). "Authorize.net" or "Quantum Gateway" are offered, both of which have Oscommerce payment modules available. Takes about 3 days from sign-up to approval.