• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Theme Switcher

kymation

Hi Jim - All,

This is a great contrinution which I have used for years. I am having trouble though, not with the contrinution itself per se., however this seemed an appropriate thread to bring the issue up.

My problem relates to button icons and fonts after applying a new theme. Whether I use themeroller, or apply a new theme manually, via. editing template_top, etc,... the theme will work fine except I will loose all button icons and get odd button fonts. I can, either manually or through theme switcher, go back to the stock redmond theme and all is well again with the buttons.

I thought jquery handled the button icons for me through it's png files, but am I missing something ? I would think maybe button names, etc changed with the latest theme roller, however I'm attempting to use the latest version theme, 1.10.4 just as the stock redmond one. 

I hope this is not too basic of a quesiton and that asking here is appropriate. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

Thanks Guys,

Don

Edited by don_moran

I just wish that Themeroller would keep backwards compatibility so I didn't have to deal with this. Support will be a lot easier when everyone moves to Bootstrap.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a clean shop 234 set up locally. I believe I followed our PDF guide, but I dont see anything under admin boxes and Themes.

done catalog/ext/bootstrap/ (All directories and files)
done catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/header_tags/ht_theme_switcher.php
done catalog/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_theme_switcher.php

In my template_top I dont have this?
<link href="ext/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet">

Tried with your unmodified version of template_top - but still nothing in the admin panel?

I must be missing something? Please help

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am very new to OSCommerce and I am trying to figure out how to install Theme Switcher.

I downloaded Theme Switcher 1.5.2 from http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7663

and added it to the modules/header_tags directory (saw someone give this advice early on in the forum thread). I wasn't able to locate it in the backend of my store under Modules. I noticed the download is .tar.gz and the rest of the files in the directory are .php

Are there install instructions anywhere that I can reference?

I would really like to figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unpack the Theme Switcher archive that you downloaded and read the instructions in the appropriate version's directory in that package.

Regards

Jim

Ok, sorry if I am asking dumb questions, but I've gotten the file unzipped and am reading through the instructions included (in the osCommerce 2.3.x folder). Now I am trying to add the New Files it instructs to add, and it seems as though I am getting closer to being able to actually install, but I am obviously missing something.

I've added (to the modules/header_tags file in my directory)

template_top.php

modules folder

languages folder

and the following error comes up when I go to the area to Install Modules.

Warning: include(/customers/2/d/c/theluvoffice.com/httpd.www/cataloginstall/includes/languages/english/modules/header_tags/template_top.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /customers/2/d/c/theluvoffice.com/httpd.www/cataloginstall/LotsaLuvAdmin/modules.php on line 141 Warning: include(): Failed opening '/customers/2/d/c/theluvoffice.com/httpd.www/cataloginstall/includes/languages/english/modules/header_tags/template_top.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /customers/2/d/c/theluvoffice.com/httpd.www/cataloginstall/LotsaLuvAdmin/modules.php on line 141 Fatal error: Call to a member function buildBlocks() on null in /customers/2/d/c/theluvoffice.com/httpd.www/cataloginstall/includes/modules/header_tags/template_top.php on line 14

When I tried to add just the file ht_theme_switcher.php from either the Modules or Lanuguages folder (rather than the folder itself) I also run into a similar error (and I am not sure hpw to add both of the files since they are named the same).

Should I be working from the BootStrap folder that was also in the zip folder maybe?

Hi Heather,

You do not put all files into one folder. I am looking at the standard version of the directions. You did not mention which one you have, but believe that is what you are using. Under new files in directions I see this:

2.2.3 New Files

catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/header_tags/ht_theme_switcher.php

catalog/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_theme_switcher.php

** I think I found your store setup under the folder "cataloginstall" Therefore, that is what you have as your "catalog" folder mentioned in the directions. So you must place that 1 file in package called ht_theme_switcher.php in the header_tags folder which is found under the modules folder which is found under english folder which is found under languages folder which is under the includes folder in your cataloginstall folder

Then you must place the other ht_theme_switcher.php file in the package into the catalog (or in your case catalginstall / includes / modules / header_tags folder

You then need to download and make a copy of your 

catalog (cataloginstall) /includes / template_top.php file. You can try to upload modified file provided in package over the one you have and see if it works or if not, you will need to do a file compare of the 2 and see what would have to be changed manually.

Hi Heather,

Just curious as to why you decided to go with the standard shop instead of with the bootstrap version right away as that one is responsive and such for handheld devices. I would recommend thinking about going the bootstrap route since it appears you are just starting out and do not have any modifications done and not much time into it yet.

The Bootstrap version has a lot of advantages, but there are a limited number of addons available for it. If you need some complex addons that have not been converted to Bootstrap, using them may require some custom recoding.

On the other hand, if what you need is available for Bootstrap, that the best way to go.

Regards

Jim

• 3 months later...

Hola Jack,

think you have an error in your manual of Theme Switcher 1.4.4

2.2.1 Quick Start
This section is for those who have installed osCommerce modules before and are
familiar with the process. If you are new at this, skip ahead to Section 2.2.2
and go from there.
To install this module:
1. Upload all of the files in the catalog directory to your store's directory.
2. Go to your store Admin >> Modules >> Boxes and click the install button.
3. Click on the Theme Switcher, Then click Install Module.
That's it; you're done. You can change to one of the supplied themes in the module
settings. If you want to upload your own theme, read Section 3 of this manual.

I found mine in Admin >> Modules >> Header Tags

saludos

• 2 months later...
  1. Yes. Use the Bootstrap version in the package.
  2. It changes the theme. How would you demo that?
  3. There are several free themes included. Many more are available online. Any Bootstrap theme can be used, just follow the instructions.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim, its me again ;)

Ive just installes the Themeswitcher Module and noticed, that the Scrolling Boxes (Customer Testimonials, Specials and Whats New) doesnt scroll anymore. I think the scroll-functions must be in the bootstrap.min.css, which isnt included when Themeroller is activ. Is there a way to strap out these scroll-css an add it to the code seperately ? Or is the Bug in front of the screen ?  :wacko:  Thank you again !

SEE YA

Denzel.

Theme Switcher switches out the CSS of the default theme with that onf the new theme. Everything else should work the same. Check your page source to see if the theme is being loaded.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation