• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular SEO Header Tags

kymation

hi jim!

I've solved the problem about the $messageStack var (in effect was a URL rewriter's problem).

but what about my second problem (the one that it lost all the product's head title, keywords and description translation once I resave it)?

my pages are in italian and french. does it have something to do?

thank you very mcuh for your attention.

riccardo

I have a test site with three languages installed (English, French, and Spanish). I don't see your problem on my test site. That tells me that you have something installed wrong, or you have some other change that's interfering with the other languages. All of the languages use the same code to store the values, so this should never happen. I can't duplicate the problem, and I can't think of any way that it could happen, so there's nothing more I can do. You'll have to debug this one yourself.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

hi jim!

just for understand and tring to debug my problem.

I've disinstalled english language (I don't need for the monent) and installing MSHT i've only renamed the directories "english" as "italian".

does it have something to do?

is there a default setup that use the code for english language?

thank you

riccardo

Did you change the default language setting in your Admin before deleting the English language? Did you uninstall and reinstall the modules after making this change?

Regards

Jim

actually I didn't delete the english language in Admin, I've just changed the italian as the default one.

I've unistalled english language only in my web page.

I've installed the modules after making this change.

thank you

riccardo

Something that you have done has messed up the languages. Look in your database, in the configuration table, for a configuration_key of DEFAULT_LANGUAGE. The configuration_value for that key is the default language. If it's still en, change it to the two-letter code for your default language.

If that's not the problem, I don't know what it is.

Regards

Jim

hi jim,in database the configuration_value is correctly "it".

I don't know either what's the problem... I'll keep on investigating. maybe it's a conflict with another modules or add-on installed.

thank you

riccardo

Hello Jim.

I've read the entire topic and I couldn’t find any problem solved related to translation in the product_description_insert mudule. In my case, two languages, English as the main language, and Spanish as second.

I’m inserting the description manually for both English and Spanish. After saving, looks fine in DB and source meta tag page.

When I'm attempting to edit the product in admin, it changes the Spanish description to the default English description, making me re-type the Spanish description manually before saving.

In the case you suggest me to use the product_description instead of the product_decription_insert, I can tell you that I cannot use that module because I use several HTML coding before the description that gets in the way pretty bad.

Regards,

Paul

I can't duplicate this problem in my test store, so you have something installed wrong or some other Addon is interfering. Check your database Languages table for errors in the Spanish entry. Check that you have the latest version of this Addon installed and that all files are in the correct locations. Check other Addons that have anything to do with languages.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed your modular_seo_header_tags_1.4.5. Fantastic addon, great work.

There is a problem with Canonical link. I have installed FWR Ultimate SEO URL's and seems to me its not working propertly.

It is look like the following

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.domain-name.com/http://www.domain-name.com/index.php?cPath=" />

Any help I will appreciate it.

The Canonical module uses the osCommerce tep_href_link() function to generate the canonical link. This works well in stock osCommerce and is the accepted practice.

The most likely explanation for your problem is that your URL rewriter is somehow messing up the link. That's not my code, and it does nothing useful anyway, so I'm not going to attempt to deal with it. You could try asking in the support thread for that addon; I believe that it's currently supported.

Regards

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your quick answer. I have a test site that I installed your modular_seo_header_tags_1.4.5. I haven't installed any Ultimate SEO URL's addon yet. Still I can see the same problem. If you want I can email you my test site and you can see the problem.

I see it now. It doesn't do that on every page, so I missed it the first time. I'll take a look at the code and come back with a fix.

Regards

Jim

I have a fix for the bug. I've tested it as much as I can on my test site, but I don't have the URL rewriter you have, so please test it yourself and let me know what you find. The code is here.

Regards

Jim

Hello Jim

I have tested your new file in my both sites (my test and live sites). The Canonical link works fine. I think it doesn't do anything with any .htaccess file or SEO URL's addons. Whatever it was, you corrected.

Great work. Thanks a lot

I think you should upload new package in Community Add-Ons. (Just suggesting :) )

Again, great work

Raz

Hello,

I've installed the latest Modular SEO HT, and I have the following modules activated:

• All Pages - Store Name in Title
  • Category Meta Keywords - Insert
  • Category Title - Category Name
  • Product Title - Product Name

After installing the addon, none of the pages displayed any title so I enabled the All Pages - Store Name in Title module. The problem is, this is what the title shows now (assuming the store name is "Name of Store"):

Name of StoreMODULE_HEADER_TAGS_CATEGORY_TITLE_SEPARATOR

It only shows at the front page. Other pages displays the store name (or whatever they're supposed to show because of other modules) without any issues.

By the way, is there any module that will display the HEADING_TITLE as the title header tag?

That's a bug. In catalog/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_category_title.php, find this line:

if( basename( $PHP_SELF ) == FILENAME_DEFAULT ) {

and replace it with this:

if( basename( $PHP_SELF ) == FILENAME_DEFAULT && $current_category_id > 0 && (!isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) || $_GET['manufacturers_id'] == 0 ) ) {

None of the modules use HEADING_TITLE, they all set values in the module setup instead. This is easier for most people to set up and removes the problems caused by editing code files with unsuitable programs.

Thanks for the bug report. I'll fix that and upload a new version.

Regards

Jim

None of the modules use HEADING_TITLE, they all set values in the module setup instead. This is easier for most people to set up and removes the problems caused by editing code files with unsuitable programs.

For additional pages (mostly for the Information box), it will be yet another place where the title must be entered--there's already two different places where you must make sure to mention the page title when manually adding pages.

Which module lets me set the title for pages I created anyway?

Page title and header title are not the same thing. They may contain the same text, but that's not a requirement.

I can't predict what additional pages someone may add, or which of the many Addons they may install that add extra pages. Those are your responsibility. You can use this guide to clone existing modules and modify them to work for your new pages.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

in product_insert.php change the line 107

from

if ($i == 0) $body_text .= MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_KEYWORDS_INSERT_TITLE;

to

if ($i == 0) $body_text .= MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION_INSERT_TITLE;

I installed in a modified 2.3.1 with product specification, all is work well except for PRODUCT META DESCRIPTION INSERT and PRODUCT META DESCRIPTION INSERT. I installed 2 languages but when save the the description only save 1 language:

example

English DESCRIPTION ENGLISH

Italiano DESCRIPTION ITALIANO

when save and reopen i found this

English DESCRIPTION ITALIANO

Italiano DESCRIPTION ITALIANO

I think the problem is in categories.php around the 2 modification. Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Marco

?>

<tr>

<td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<?php

// Products Specifications

require (DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_PRODUCTS_SPECIFICATIONS_INPUT);

?>

<?php

// Products Specifications

} // if (SPECIFICATIONS_BOX_FRAME_STYLE ... else ...

// Modular SEO Header Tags

include( DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags/products_insert.php' );

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_QUANTITY; ?></td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('products_quantity', $pInfo->products_quantity); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>

I'm not sure about your language problem. It may be caused by an interaction with some other Addon, or it may be a problem with the language installation. Is your Italian language installed in includes/languages/italiano?

You need to make a change to integrate this Addon with Product Specifications. In admin/categories.php, find this code:

<tr>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
	    <td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_QUANTITY; ?></td>
	    <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('products_quantity', $pInfo->products_quantity); ?></td>
	  </tr>

and add this just before it:

<?php
// Modular SEO Header Tags
 include( DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags/products_insert.php' );
?>

Regards

Jim

Edit: Wrong code block in the first box.

Edited by kymation

Hi Jim and everyone. Thanks for this great addon. It's really got my site looking great in google searches.

I'm sorry if this has been answered but from searching on google and going through all 14 pages of this thread (admittedly at 4-5am) I haven't found an answer to what I assume is a pretty basic question. Sorry if I use the incorrect terminology too but I'm not a whizz at this type of stuff.

The problem I have is that my store name is appearing as part of the meta title in google. The place where you get about 66 characters to include some keywords which supposedly are important for seo rankings. As nobody is going to be searching specifically for my sitename as yet, there's no point having it there. It's there at the start on the front page and every product/sub page of my site.

There's an option in modules> header tags> "All Pages - Store Name in Title" and I ticked that to see what would happen and I got a double instance ie . Store name - Store name - key words

I then clicked false to see if that would lose it but it only got rid of the second instance and the first instance is still on every page.

Hoping there's a really easy explanation and remedy for this so I can slap myself and call myself an idiot (and fix it too)

Thanks in advance :)