• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular SEO Header Tags

kymation

Sorry Jim I realise now my post did not adequately descriibe of the problem.

Firstly i should not have tried to upload this module as it is not in your very detailed of how to use your add-on

But I am a fool, and grasped onto the item which most seemed to suit my needs.

So

1. I have no idea if the existance of "Category Meta Keywords - Insert" within the admin->modules section is a result of your add-on, for all I know it may well have been there before I uploaded the add-on

2. In relation to "it did not work"

after installing this module, on a category create/edit page, i find an additional box, which at present appears underneath the categories_meta_desrciption box.

Above it, appears

"MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT_CATEGORIES_KEYWORDS"

If I enter any details in this box, the source code for the page , changes to include an extra line of meta category keyword, but there are no keywords specified.

If I return to the admin and try to edit a category for which I have previously added info into this box, the previously input info has been deleted.

Is this making any sense, Jim

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

Jim

Please ignore the rgb statements.

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

You've found a bug, although there may be more to your problem than that. Find this code in admin/includes/languages/english.php:

// Start Modular SEO header Tags
 define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_TITLE_INSERT_TITLE', 'Products Head Title:' );
 define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION_INSERT_TITLE', 'Products Meta Description:' );
 define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT_CATEGORIES_TITLE', 'Category Head Title:' );
 define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION', 'Category Meta Description:' );

and add after it:

define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT_CATEGORIES_KEYWORDS', 'Category Meta Keywords:' );
 define( 'MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_KEYWORDS_INSERT_TITLE', 'Products Meta Keywords:' );

Let me know if that helps. I suspect another problem will show up after this one is fixed. And thanks for the bug report; I'll fix that one with the next release.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Hi Jim,

I've added the define statements and "MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT_CATEGORIES_KEYWORDS" has now been replaced by "Category Meta Keywords:" as you would expect.

As I had previously removed the module, the Categories Meta Keywords box I guess should not have been shown when editing/creating a new category but it was still there, which may be the part of the additional problem you suspected may happen.

I then re-installed the module, the box and title are now still present when editing/creating categories, just as you would expect it to be.

After entering "motorcycle," and saving the edit, I viewed the page on the site and it appears to be working normally, viewing the source code for that page, an extra line has appeared

<meta name="keywords" content="" />

So the code is clearly trying to do its job, but has not managed to save the keyword which suggests some issue with the database. So via phpmyadmin I checked the database the table categories_description has now three extra fields "head_title" "head_description" and "head_keywords", they are all varchar(255) with utf8_unicode_ci collation.

For the one category I have so far altered the head_title & head_description contain the data expected however head_keywords is blank, so saving the category edit/create is not writing to that field, I added "motorcycle trials" to the field via phpmyadmin and reviewed the source code.

<meta name="keywords" content="motorcycle trials" />

being the expected result, so that pretty much seems to confirm that the issue is in relation to writing these keywords to the database.

Finally I undid my manual alteration to the database, removed the module via admin, rechecked source code, database and edited the category via the admin. As expected the module has been removed from Header Tags list of installed modules and the <meta name="keywords" line removed from the source code. The database still included the head_keywords field and the Keywords box still appears on the edit/create category page.

So we have 2 problems

1. When the module is installed its not writing to the database

2. When the module is removed its not deleting the box from the category edit page.

To be fair I can live with these issues as they don't appear to hinder the workings of the rest of the site and I do all of my database editing via phpmyadmin by uploading csv files.

Just a reminder my header tags install is v1.4.3, hope this helps.

regards

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

The keywords tag is a worthless waste of time anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just remove the module and leave it out. I'll fix the bugs as soon as I have some time. Thanks for the detailed bug report; that helps a lot.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Will do so, will it be safe for me to update to v1.4.4

cheers

ken

Os-commerce v2.3.3

Security Pro v11

Site Monitor

IP Trap

htaccess Protection

Bad Behaviour Block

Year Make Model

Document Manager

X Sell

Star Product

Modular Front Page

Modular Header Tags

I too have a problem with keywords. It is the Product Meta keyword - Insert.

It shows up as 2 edit windows in the products page but produces an empty tag on the HTML page (<meta name="keywords" content="" />).

Any ideas?

Anders

• 2 weeks later...

If I use the Product title - Category Name, it only picks up the category name that is one level up. If that category is a subcategory and there is a higher level category, how would you include that one as well in the Title?

Thanks.

That would require custom coding. You need to detect whether the current category has a parent of 0 (top level) and if not, retrieve the parent's name and add it to the display string.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Meta Keywords appears to have a bug. I'll take a look at it as soon as I have a chance. Since Meta Keywords are completely useless, please use your time doing something useful.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kymation,

Fantastic addon! I recently upgraded to 2.3.1 and then disappeared from the Search Engines, and I think it is because I didn't have this addon.

Regarding the Meta Keywords problem, I found the required code to insert the keywords into the database was missing from;

/admin/includes/modules/header_tags/categories_products_process.php

eg.

// Check whether the products_description table has been altered

$check_structure_query_raw = "describe " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION;

$check_structure_query = tep_db_query($check_structure_query_raw);

$products_field_exists = false;

while ($check_structure_data = tep_db_fetch_array($check_structure_query)) {

if ($check_structure_data['Field'] == 'head_title') {

$products_field_exists = true;

}

if ($check_structure_data['Field'] == 'head_description') {

}

------------------------- this part was missing throughout--------------------------

if ($check_structure_data['Field'] == 'head_keywords') {

}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

}

I have added the required code and it is working fine for me. The modified categories_products_process.php file is attached.

categories_products_process.php

Thanks again

Thanks for the bug report, and double thanks for the code. I'll fix that in the next release.

Just don't expect the keywords to help you with the search engines. It won't.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I've uploaded a new version to the Addons repository. This release fixes a bug affecting the Products and Categories Keywords tags. Note that Keyword tags are still worthless as far as search engines go; they're only good for storing a list of keywords that you might want to use elsewhere. There are update instructions in the included User's Manual if you need them.

This is all you need to install, however the Extras have been removed to make the package fit in the repository.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for excellent contribution in this days od nasty black & white animals like Panda and Penguin. Everything works as expected, i have only one question : since every page need a uniqu title, how can i set a unique title for service pages like About Us, Faq , Register & login, Privacy etc . I cant figure out how to obtain uniqu title.

And i found one small cosmetc typo :

in products_insert.php on row 105 shld be MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_DESCRIPTION_INSERT_TITLE

and not MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_KEYWORDS_INSERT_TITLE (this one shuld be only on row 145)

Thanks agin for youre contrib !

Baterije & Akumulatorji OsCommerce store

and one more thing : in main laguage file add this line :

define('MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ALL_PAGE_TITLE_STORE_NAME_SEPARATOR', ' - ');

somehow this line was lost.

Baterije & Akumulatorji OsCommerce store

The static files are generally full of boilerplate that's not very interesting to search engines, so I left them out. I could probably build a module for each one. You should block the search engines out of the Login page in any case.

Good catch on the MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_PRODUCT_KEYWORDS_INSERT_TITLE. I'll fix that in the master. Thanks for the bug report.

MODULE_HEADER_TAGS_ALL_PAGE_TITLE_STORE_NAME_SEPARATOR is defined in the settings for catalog/includes/modules/header_tags/ht_all_pages_title_store_name.php, which is where it's used. I'm at a loss to explain why that would not be defined if the module is installed, or why it would be needed if the module is not.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

hi to everybody!

first of all I've want to thank you for the great work you have done with this add-on!

I've just installed the new versin of Modular SEO Header Tags (1.4.5) and everything apparently worked ok.

but..... I have 2 problems...

1: cannot insert products head title, keywords and description in diffent languages: it lost all the traslations and keep only the principale language

2: I've also installed Magic_SEO_URLs and everything is working till a message error apperas (the $messageStack var). for example, if i insert a wrong password, it report me this fatal error:

"Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class language in /web/htdocs/www.detectalia-italia.it/home/includes/classes/language.php on line 16".

as you can see here http://www.detectalia-italia.it/login.php?action=process

If I disinstall the add-on it works correctly.....

how i can solve them?

can you help me to solve the problem., please?

riccardo

Edited by rikic

1. Did you install the languages after you installed the Header Tags modules? If so, you need to remove and reinstall the modules.

2. This is likely a problem with Magic_SEO_URLs. I don't know anything about that addon, but most URL rewriters cause problems with other Addons. They don't do anything useful anyway, so I suggest that you remove it.

Regards

Jim

hi! thank you very much for your fast answer.

1. no, I've installed MSHT after the language. How I can solve it?

2. ok. I'll see what to do.

regards

riccardo

My copy doesn't do that, so you will need to do some debugging. Use your database admin tool to look at the database fields (the head_title, head_description, and head_keywords fields in the products_description table). Is the data that you entered there? Try turning off your URL rewriter and see if it works then.

Regards

Jim

hi jim!

I've just uninstalled Magic_SEO_URLs but the error still appers....!

does it has something to be with the language?

I mean, are the 2 problems connected..??

thank you for you r patience...

riccardo

in the database admin tool the french appears till I re-save the product... than the whole texts disappear....

I mean, it seams that when it runs this line

if ($error == true) {

$messageStack->add('login', TEXT_LOGIN_ERROR);

of the login.php file, it cannot redraw the form 'login'... and if I turn off the rewrite the URL REwriter, the whole page doesn't work and reports me the same fatal error.....!

Edited by rikic

It appears that you have problems that are unrelated to this Addon. I suggest that you post in the general help forum, and include a copy of the error message(s) that you are seeing.

Regards

Jim