• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

You can set the Small Image size in your Admin. Set only the width or height, not both.

I prefer to do this by using images that are the correct size to start with. The result is much cleaner.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I set it small image size 390 x 240 !! yes I know that's NOT small, but just the way I want for a particular shop and it look's great, but the boxes and the scroller takes over that size :(

You can override those settings in the module file. Open /catalog/includes/modules/front_page/fp_scroller.php and replace SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH and SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT with the values you want to use. to use the above numbers, replace SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH with 390 and SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT with 240. Use whatever numbers work for your images.

Regards

Jim

You have an older version. All versions that have the scroller module use those constants. Search for them.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim, I listening to your advice ;) Used a new 2.3.3 and TS 1.4.2, it work well ! Thanks

I even made my own style and it's a glance. Just one point, I copied the css file from the css map ipo modifying the css file in the theme.

Great, up to second level, your Modular Front Page and trying to find a solution for the categories, language and currencie boxes.

I would have these in a horizontal nav bar, any sugestions?

Greets

Kozak

• 2 weeks later...

trying to change the content of customer greeting and heading title but no matter what i do it just shows the default oscommerce greeting and heading title..i'm sure that i have to change code somewhere either in index.php or english.php just not sure where...can you give me some direction here?

You missed one or more of the edits in /catalog/index.php. Compare the version supplied with this addon to your edited file.

Regards

Jim

@@jcannaveno :

catalog/includes/english.php on line 221 you should read :

define('TEXT_GREETING_PERSONAL', 'Welcome back <span class="greetUser">%s!</span> Would you like to see which <a href="%s"><u>new products</u></a> are available to purchase?');

the text that I market in red is the text you may change.

Using Dreamweaver is a very good tool to FIND the text or codes your looking for

@

i'm aware of being able to just change that code..but if that were the case then i really wouldn't need modular front page for that..the way that this module is supposed to work is you enable the Customer Greeting module and then edit the file fp_customer_greeting.php and that is what should generate on the front page of your store..something is missing somewhere..there needs to be a line of code in either index.php or english.php to reference fp_customer_greeting.php..it's the same case with the Heading Title portion of this module

and that text is for a returning customer..the text just underneath that is the text that you would change for the greeting:

define('TEXT_GREETING_GUEST', 'Welcome <span class="greetUser">Guest!</span> Would you like to <a href="%s"><u>log yourself in</u></a>? Or would you prefer to <a href="%s"><u>create an account</u></a>?');

Modular Front Page uses the stock osCommerce function tep_customer_greeting() to generate the correct message. That function uses the language defines in catalog/includes/english.php (and other languages if installed) for the appropriate text in the user's language. I could have made all of those definitions part of the module setup, but they're relatively complex and would be confusing to set up. Sorry, you're just going to have to edit the language files for this one.

Regards

Jim

They're only there for completeness, as most sites don't use them. Take a look at the front pages of major online retailers. I don't recall any that have a title or greeting.

Regards

Jim

A recent set of errors on my server have prompted me to start a ground up recreation of my osCommerce.

Instead of 2.2, Im using 2.3.3

A quick preview of packages that I had installed before or wanted to install before, brought me to this one, a very important part of what my goal was, was to make the front page very modular, new, featured, specialty products, services, etc.

I noticed in the package I downloaded there where no instructions, no install.txt of the sort, so what I did was just do a straight copy (very stock-fresh install of osC) and I get everything BUT the main data area (header, left column, footer) are there, no product/greeting area.

Am I missing something? (Its been a long time perhaps 2002 or 2003 since I delved deeply into osC for a setup.)

Thomas

A signature is something that reflects its user. - The dictionary

The question is not, 'to code, or not to code'

the question is, 'if we do not code, are we really alive?'

-- anonymous

Hi Thomas,

you have to go to your admin page and then to MODULES -> Front Page and INSTALLING the Modules with the button on the right top of your page !! Later you can choose for each module if you gone use it or not and the sort order.

Succes

regards

Kozak

The instructions are in the User's Manual.pdf file in the Read Me folder. I thought that Read Me was enough of a hint. Apparently I was mistaken.

Regards

Jim

Maybe this is the problem, I did look, in the ROOT directory

ie (Download here)/package name

I've never seen instructions placed a admin subdirectory.. always in the main unzip...

Will check in a few when I start workin on it...

-- anonymous

I got it, it was unzipped in the same folder/directory as the actual file being unzipped... not accustomed to that.

-- anonymous

Ok, so I got the package working, and looking through it, I am trying to figure out where, I would make some nescessary changs for my chosen main page layout,

I prefer a smaller listing of specials and featured items to be side by side (2x2 & 2x2), with new product being 4x3.

Keep in mind it been a long time since I played with osC and Im having trouble discerning where in this package I make changes so the front page module keeps the original look with the boxes in the central area. I see there are a host of css file under a couple directories, its just not overly clear through the greping I HAVE done tryng to find the various classes and ids that seem to be being used.

Now its possible Im missing something in how stylesheets are implimented here, and in 2.3.3 over the 2.2MS version, so Im asking for a small bit of guidance here.

Can anyone help at least guide me to the correct locatoins??

Thanks!!

-- anonymous