• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

Thank you for your quick reply Jim - I really appreciate your generosity of spirit - without folks like you, folks like me would be trying to paint websites in crayon.

I have tries copying the featured.php to the folder as suggested but I just got the same problem.

I think I will have to resort to comparing all the main files of my site that does work with your add-on with the files of my second site where the problem is.

I will post the results but it will probably take a week or so for me to find the time.

Thanks again and if you or anyone else has any suggestions in the meantime I would be happy to hear them.

James

Please post what you find when you solve this. I would love to give people like you a solution, but it's pretty hard to do when I can't see the problem for myself.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Great addon. My only issue at this point are that the image size doesn't seem to want to change when i adjust it in the stylesheet for the mod. Is there anywhere else that i need to change it as well?

Thanks.

It would help to know which module you're trying to change the images on.

It's always better to make your images the right size to start with and just let the module show them at that size. Forcing the browser to resize an image often results in a distorted and ugly image.

Regards

Jim

Have a funny issue here, has anyone else seen this.

When hovering over the right arrow, the scroller works fine i.e. it speeds up, slows down accordingly and runs to the end of the list.

However when hovering over the left arror, it works as the right arrow does for a split second then stops.

When I say stop the following happens.

The arrow disappears from view and the scroller stops moving, then if i move the mouse away from the arrow, it appears again.

Hovering over the left arrow again simply does the same thing.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be causing this.

Have tested this in ie8 and Firefox 3.6

Edited by mongoled

The scroller will usually go back to the first product in the list and then stop. I don't know why it's doing that; it certainly is not designed to. Call it a bug. I'll take a look at it when I get some time.

Regards

Jim

I really like this addon so far, but I'm having one major problem.

With the "text main" part of the addon, if I set up my own custom text, and then want to edit it again, it won't let me. The box where you enter text is gone, and instead I get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /homepages/24/d93996405/htdocs/lilli-yums/lilliback/modules.php(232) : eval()'d code on line 1

(Sometimes it says line 3 instead.)

I have the newest version of both the addon and oscommerce, clean install.

Edited by shana-chan

You used one or more apostrophes/single quotes in your text. That's a special character to PHP, so you need to escape them by adding a backslash in front, like so \'. You can fix the problem by editing or deleting the text in the configuration table of your database. It's in the configuration_key column.

Regards

Jim

I just tried using the Text Main with the backslashes as you suggested, and I still get the same error code and the same problem where I can't edit it at all.

Whether I use backslashes or not, it shows up as a regular single quote/apostrophe.

I think it's kind of silly that I have to either uninstall/reinstall or go through my host's difficult process of getting to my SQL admin area just to fix a tiny typo or to add to the text on the front page. Isn't there any way to fix this, or am I the only one with this problem? I ask so I can figure out if this isn't an issue with my host. :P

Otherwise, I'll just be uninstalling this module since that was the whole reason I installed it, the 'easy' front page editing ability, hahaha.

That can probably be done, although it would take modifications to core osCommerce files. I intend to look into that when I get a chance.

Regards

Jim

In admin/modules.php find this line:

tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . $value . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");

and replace it with this:

tep_db_query("update " . TABLE_CONFIGURATION . " set configuration_value = '" . addslashes( addslashes( $value ) ) . "' where configuration_key = '" . $key . "'");

Now you can add all of the apostrophes you want.

Regards

Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, though it fixes the editing error and now I can edit the text main after changing it, it produces \\\' on the frontpage instead of showing single quotes. When I used \' it showed the \' on the front page (for example: Hi, it\'s me!) instead of showing single quotes, but gave me an error and removed the editing box.

This is why I didn't want to get into this. You'll need to modify the module files as well. Find this in includes/modules/front_page/text_main.php

$body_text .= constant( 'MODULE_FRONT_PAGE_TEXT_MAIN_' . strtoupper( $language ) ) . PHP_EOL;

and replace it with this

$body_text .= stripslashes( stripslashes( constant( 'MODULE_FRONT_PAGE_TEXT_MAIN_' . strtoupper( $language ) ) ) ) . PHP_EOL;

Regards

Jim

Jim, this add-on is almost perfect; there's just one thing I would like, and that is to be able to have the banners in Banner Rotator link to outside pages. The link to my blog works now, but the link to my Facebook page does not since it adds my domain address to the link. Is this an issue with Banner Rotator or the osC banner manager?

It's the osCommerce redirect function that the Banner Manager uses to keep track of banner clicks. It's not designed to do outside links.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Great contribution!

Is there any reason why the Categories Images module doesn't allow to introduce tittles in the different languages?

Would it be very difficult to solve that by copying some code from the other modules?

Regards,

Juan Antonio

Yes, that's a bug. You can fix it by changing the code similar to the other modules. I'll fix this as soon as I can, but my time is limited right now.

Thanks for reporting the bug.

Regards

Jim

I just wanted to say this is a GREAT add-on! I've been struggling to modify the main page to suit my taste and needs, and your add-on just made it SO much easier!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :thumbsup:

Regards,

Chris

Jim, this add-on is almost perfect; there's just one thing I would like, and that is to be able to have the banners in Banner Rotator link to outside pages. The link to my blog works now, but the link to my Facebook page does not since it adds my domain address to the link. Is this an issue with Banner Rotator or the osC banner manager?

It's the osCommerce redirect function that the Banner Manager uses to keep track of banner clicks. It's not designed to do outside links.

Regards

Jim

Tim, I'm not sure if you discovered this on your own or not, but I'll post it here in case someone else is looking for the answer...

The OSC redirect function assumes the link is local if there's no "http://" at the front of the link. If you put "http://" at the beginning, then the redirect function knows it's an outside link.

Or at least that's how it works on my site. Hope that's helpful...

Regards,

Chris

One question, Jim...

Is there a way to disable (or remove) the banner rotator control buttons? If not, it's not a big deal but I'd prefer just the banner with no controls.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chris