• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Addon} Modular Front Page

kymation

You should be able to add a border to the #bannerRotator specification in the stylesheet. Or just add it to your banner images.

The Banner Rotator uses the osCommerce Banner Manager to set banners. There's no text associated with those banners, so adding that would mean modifying the Banner Manager as well as the Banner Rotator module. That's a lot of work. It would be a lot easier to just add the test to your banner images.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

You've done something wrong in the installation. Check that you have uploaded all of the files to the correct locations.

Regards

Jim

You've done something wrong in the installation. Check that you have uploaded all of the files to the correct locations.

Regards

Jim

Problem solved, had one file missing.

Is there any way to change the speed of how quickly an image appears? I'd prefer it to be a little slower.

Thanks in advance,

Yousef

Edited by a2zfashions

Which image? The faders are controlled by Javascript, so yes, but it's a different script depending on the image set.

Regards

Jim

Jim... This add on is fabulous! Have an issue with the banner rotator, i am sure it is something i am not doing correctly. Install seems fine, have made the group "rotator" in both the tools- banner manager and in modules- front page. The issue is adding the banner images. Built four default size 620 x 150 pixel test images using adobe illustrator, exporting as .png files, then uploading to catalog/images/banner directory, as this is where I found the two test files. I am confused as to how to add the images using the tools- banner manager. What I get is the control button and the square with the red X on the browser page. Tried adding the four images files to catalog/images/banner/rotator directory, to no avail. I named my test images banner1 banner2..etc. What am i doing wrong?

You have to either upload the banner images using the Banner Manager or enter the exact path to the banner images. It's likely that you are not giving the Banner Manager the correct path.

Regards

Jim

Figured it out... Realized each image becomes a new banner in banner manager, along with it needed the url of the web page. next dumb question which file allows me to comment out the navigation bar?

If there was an award for the most knowledgeable/helpful guy with OS Commerce... it would be yours, hands down!!!

Thanks again,

Timmy C

If you mean the Breadcrumb trail, that's in catalog/includes/header.php. Removing that is usually a very bad idea. Customers depend on navigation aids like that to find products, and may get confused and leave if they can't find what they're used to.

If you want to make changes to the way your site works, I suggest that you look at what the major retailers are doing. Don't necessarily depend on your competitors, since they may not have a clue. Look at sites that are very successful. If the successful sites all do it, it's probably a good idea.

Regards

Jim

Now I understand. This is another user interface issue; I suggest that you leave this one alone as well. If you really want to, you can hide it by replacing all of the images with transparent images, such as the stock pixel_trans.gif. The images are called in the banner rotator stylesheet. See the Appendix to the instructions for more information.

Regards

Jim

Jim.... Tried the pixel_trans.gif idea. had to take the gif into illustrator (the stylesheet called for .png) for conversion. Result was a white area where the nav bar had been. opened stylesheet, commented ou the nav bar control section of code. she worked famously, no apparent problem. Enough for today, gonna go and fly my rc helicopter before the fast approching storm front gets here. Guess I go from one type stress to another!!

Thanks so much!!!

Timmy C

You can use GIFs for the images; just change the name in the stylesheet. Of course commenting out the controls works as well, it's just more work.

Regards

Jim

That is a bug. I'll fix it and put out a new release. If you want to fix yours, change this code in includes/modules/front_page.php (Line 56) from this:

for ($id = 1; $id <= $this->featured_products; $id++) {

to this:

for ($id = 1; $id < $this->count; $id++) {

Thanks for the bug report.

Regards

Jim

thx for your imediate answer but i think there is another bug on the same module...

Featured products must display in random order when the Featured Products are greater than max number...

am i right?

this does not happen...

This is not a bug, just a missing feature. The Featured Products module currently only displays the products in the order that you set them. I intend to add a random feature to a future release, but this involves quite a bit of additional code, so it may be a while.

Regards

Jim

Thanks, Jim, for a very useful addon. I needed a random featured product module, so I did a quick hack of the featured products file. Hope the following is useful to someone:

Change the code in includes/modules/front_page.php (Line 56) from this:

for ($id = 1; $id <= $this->featured_products; $id++) {
         $products_id = @ constant('MODULE_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCT_' . $id);

to this:

// get all of the set product numbers
       for ($pick = 0; $pick < $this->featured_products; $pick++) {
         $next_pick = @ constant('MODULE_FRONT_PAGE_FEATURED_PRODUCT_' . ($pick+1));
         if ($next_pick > 0) {
           $featured_all[$pick] = $next_pick;
         }
       }
       // shuffle 'em
       shuffle($featured_all);
       for ($id = 0; $id < ($this->count-1); $id++) {
         $products_id = $featured_all[$id];

Nice! I thought it would take more than that. Then again, I often pick the most complicated way of doing things.

Thanks for the code.

Regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Read the first page of this thread. It's still there.

Regards

Jim

there a link that says - get the code here - but it doesnt work.

got 2 files from - updated package here.

thanks jim - so ive got a zip file with the 2 .php files in and a txt file telling me to edit one (banner rotator.php) then upload them to includes/modules.

is that right only 2 files - i thought there would be more.

do i goto mysite/admin/modules and activate it from there.?

sorry i cant seem to find any other install instructions.

thanks for your help.

ok i got the right one this time 1.2.6, followed instructions - edited index.php with win merge.

went to modules front page, install(10) and it threw this error.

(after i changed the index.php the middle of the site went blank)

Warning: include_once(includes/functions/modules/front_page/featured.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/fantasyw/public_html/shop/includes/modules/front_page/featured.php on line 39

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/functions/modules/front_page/featured.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/fantasyw/public_html/shop/includes/modules/front_page/featured.php on line 39

Warning: include_once(includes/functions/modules/front_page/featured.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/fantasyw/public_html/shop/includes/modules/front_page/scroller.php on line 38

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/functions/modules/front_page/featured.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/fantasyw/public_html/shop/includes/modules/front_page/scroller.php on line 38

Edited by dunnyuk