• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Better Product Search ?

SpankyAndy

Hi,

I've noticed that increasingly, our visitors are using the site search box to try and locate specific items. The general internet population seem to have got used to using Google style searches whereby they can enter anything, including complete sentences, and expect to retrieve relevant results. Unfortunately, that doesn't tend to work too well on the osCommerce search box, so we're having people leave the site when their search returns no results, despite there being relevant products available.

Holbi sell an "osCommerce Smart Search" module for £335+vat, but this is quite expensive for us. The osC addons library has several search enhancements, but none of them really allow for the 'natural language' style searches that we're seeing. Real time search suggestions would work to a degree, but not everybody uses these.

Does anybody know of any search contributions that may help improve the relevancy of results returned based on varying search phrases?

Cheers

Andy

check contribs for one by pbor about integrating a 3rd party search engine

his site where he integrated it is drogisterijtoppers . nl

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

check contribs for one by pbor about integrating a 3rd party search engine

his site where he integrated it is drogisterijtoppers . nl

Hi Carine !

I can't seem to find anything by 'pbor' within addons.oscommerce.com. I've used Google to do a site search, but it returns nothing. Would you mind posting a link, if you have one?

Cheers

Andy

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Hi,

I've noticed that increasingly, our visitors are using the site search box to try and locate specific items. The general internet population seem to have got used to using Google style searches whereby they can enter anything, including complete sentences, and expect to retrieve relevant results. Unfortunately, that doesn't tend to work too well on the osCommerce search box, so we're having people leave the site when their search returns no results, despite there being relevant products available.

Holbi sell an "osCommerce Smart Search" module for £335+vat, but this is quite expensive for us. The osC addons library has several search enhancements, but none of them really allow for the 'natural language' style searches that we're seeing. Real time search suggestions would work to a degree, but not everybody uses these.

Does anybody know of any search contributions that may help improve the relevancy of results returned based on varying search phrases?

Cheers

Andy

It depends on what you are trying to search. By default, the search code in oscommerce only searches the product name. If you want to also search the product description, there is a simple fix that has been posted in these forums many times. If you want to search attributes and various pages, then see the Site Search Plus contribution in My Addons.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 year later...

Archived