Jump to content
  • Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch


The e-commerce.

MySQL and Text out put to front end and etc.


Recommended Posts

Greeting fellas!


I have wrote some one post about this problem on language displaying in database, but i`m back with this and i need help!


So the languages i need to be supported are: Latvian, English, Russian - with English i don`t have any problem, but with Latvian and Russian language is pain in my ass!


So at the admin site i have changed charset to UTF-8, it`s the best way to have combined Latvian and Russian languages, because they have special charters (example for word`s - "at home": LV - mājās, RU - дома).


For admin panel:

If i change encoding to windows-1257 what stands for Latvian language

Or if i change encoding to windows-1251 what stands for Russian language


at the moment i have UTF-8 this is the best way to be combined thous languages


Encoding for database and in row costumers (for testing) field i have set - utf8_unicode_ci

If i change the database entry for customers_firstname, i change costumers name (Latvian name - Jānis) after saving i get the right name displayed in DB - "Jānis", but costumer will see it like "J?nis" why?


If costumer is filling out the form it`s saves client name "Jānis" as "JÄnis", but after if i get data from DB it`s shows the name normaly...



I have checked my page encoding and it shows UTF-8.


Why the imputed name in DB shows "JÄnis"?


May this be caused by osC files as they have ANSI encoding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Take a look at this contribution and read this topic





Spasibo, vilecel etu uzasnuju bolacku! (It`s saved me and my shop)






So what we did is really simple:


in - caloge/includes/functions/database.php


find this:


function tep_db_query($query, $link = 'db_link') {
   global $$link;

   if (defined('STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS') && (STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS == 'true')) {
     error_log('QUERY ' . $query . "\n", 3, STORE_PAGE_PARSE_TIME_LOG);


after add this:


mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET utf8"); 
mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8' ");


and you need to change a bit more


in cataloge/admin/includes/functions/database.php


find this


function tep_db_query($query, $link = 'db_link') {
   global $$link, $logger;

   if (defined('STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS') && (STORE_DB_TRANSACTIONS == 'true')) {
     if (!is_object($logger)) $logger = new logger;
     $logger->write($query, 'QUERY');


after add this:


mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET utf8"); 
mysql_query("SET NAMES 'utf8' ");


and that`s it!


The original came from here ( <- LINK) and here (<- LINK)



And huge thank`s to multimixer who pointed this to me!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...