• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

KissMT Dynamic SEO Meta & Canonical Header Tags

FWR Media

Hi Robert,

I just installed this great contribuiton and it is working fine, although I don't seem to find a way to add my own description to the Information Pages contribution... Can you help?

Br

KissMT is dynamic you don't add it manually, it takes the first 255 characters from the information page description.

Edited by FWR Media

KissMT is dynamic you don't add it manually, it takes the first 255 characters from the information page description.

I understand that, but you have included a description to the shipping, conditions, etc. from osCommerce, but in my case, I'm using the information Pages to have these pages and in the title I see the htlm formating.

Hi

Thanks for a great contribution.

Would you please help me with my product titles.

The only header I am receiving by product is " Product Info- Buy From ElevenMagnum"

I have recently added model numbers to all my product and this seems to be the only thing that has messed about with the Product tags.

Would you mind letting me know what to do to fix it?

Thanks

Sloane

Hello FWR :thumbsup:

I have tried to use this for the Advanced Search Result page but it doesnt appear to work whether it be my mistake or that it doesn't work with this page.

If KissMT doesn't work on the Advanced Search Result page at the moment, is there any chance that it could be made to because I believe if it did it would be an immensly powerful feature especially for large shops.

You could link to predefined search results to get extra/unlimited, keyword rich pages indexed by search engines and they would rank well ;)

Edited by RMD27

Hello FWR :thumbsup:

I have tried to use this for the Advanced Search Result page but it doesnt appear to work whether it be my mistake or that it doesn't work with this page.

If KissMT doesn't work on the Advanced Search Result page at the moment, is there any chance that it could be made to because I believe if it did it would be an immensly powerful feature especially for large shops.

You could link to predefined search results to get extra/unlimited, keyword rich pages indexed by search engines and they would rank well ;)

advanced_search has no place as an seo page it would simply be a page of links even if there were a "default search" which holds no seo benefit.

advanced_search has no place as an seo page it would simply be a page of links even if there were a "default search" which holds no seo benefit.

I respectfully disagree for 2 reasons. You only have to look at the directories that get listed in the top 10 of Google, for example http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-gb&q=dry+cleaner+luton&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= these pages are only a little bit more fancy than an OSC page of search results.

And secondly, in the OSC category pages where there are products listed, the layout is the same as the OSC search results pages and I think we all hope our category pages bring traffic to our sites.

I personally use this technique of getting search results pages indexed by seach engines and I couldnt ask for better results not only for where the page itself ranks, ie top 10 for countless phrases, but also the boost that it gives to the pages that that page links to.

Using Amazon as an example and the search "fishing guide", if this page were optimised for the search term "fishing guide" and also optimised taking into consideration the text in the search results I believe it would get a good ranking. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fishing+guide If Amazon was using KissMT with their search results page they would just need to create a hard link to the search results page for "fishing guide" and Bob is you uncle, search engines have an extra, meaningful page to index. This hard link is what I mean by predefined search.

The issue for me is, I currently have to create my "pre-defined" search result pages manually by cutting and pasting the search results onto a seperate page where I can customise the meta tags. This is a real pain if the prices change because I have to go back and manually update them which is extremely time consuming.

If the search results could automatically use the search terms and maybe the first characters of the results page as the meta tags it would mean the hard linked page is always up to date and I believe attracting quality traffic.

I think some optimisation even if it were limited must be better that no optimisiation at all.

I honestly believe this could open up a lot of doors to extra traffic for any OSC site with minimal effort, especially with the massive world of possibilities and features KissMT has given people, namely the ability of entering text, links ;) or anything they want in the category pages.

KissMT is awesome, I believe it should be part of every OSC install and I think this optimised search results page would push the envelope a little bit more by letting people create unlimited, new SEO pages with minimal effort. The only restrictions would be people's imaginations.

Anyway if you did reconsider your position there would be at least 1 person that would be extremely grateful

Hi there,

Thanks for a fantastic contribution, so easy to install! I've just come accross a hiccup while trying to install the optional extras (Category-Manufacturers Descriptions-H1 page title) and I have no trace of the last two edits in the catalog/index.php:

Find ... There are three of these to be changed. Make sure to change all three.

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

OR

Find ... There are three of these we only want to change the first two. One in nested categories the other in products/manufacturers listings

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

I've tried looking for similarities etc, but cannot seem to get past this point.. Any ideas why my index.php doesn't have this?

Thanks so much

Hi there,

Thanks for a fantastic contribution, so easy to install! I've just come accross a hiccup while trying to install the optional extras (Category-Manufacturers Descriptions-H1 page title) and I have no trace of the last two edits in the catalog/index.php:

Find ... There are three of these to be changed. Make sure to change all three.

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

OR

Find ... There are three of these we only want to change the first two. One in nested categories the other in products/manufacturers listings

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>

I've tried looking for similarities etc, but cannot seem to get past this point.. Any ideas why my index.php doesn't have this?

Thanks so much

Hi it is difficult offering instructions where the code is entirely different.

I would suggest looking at the "drop on top" index.php which has all of the code changes in place, then work out where to place them in your own file.

Where to put the page title h1 should be relatively clear as it is your page title.

<h1>
               <?php
                 // KissMT start
                 echo KissMT::init()->page_title . PHP_EOL;
                 // KissMT end
               ?>
             </h1>

As for the description: -

<?php KissMT_Desc_Extn::init()->output(); ?> 

You just put the above where you want the description to output.

Just bear in mind that index.php is effectively 3 files, with 3 page titles etc, as follows: -

1) Nested categories

2) Products and manufacturers listings

3) Default home page

Hi it is difficult offering instructions where the code is entirely different.

I would suggest looking at the "drop on top" index.php which has all of the code changes in place, then work out where to place them in your own file.

Where to put the page title h1 should be relatively clear as it is your page title.

<h1>
               <?php
                 // KissMT start
                 echo KissMT::init()->page_title . PHP_EOL;
                 // KissMT end
               ?>
             </h1>

As for the description: -

<?php KissMT_Desc_Extn::init()->output(); ?> 

You just put the above where you want the description to output.

Just bear in mind that index.php is effectively 3 files, with 3 page titles etc, as follows: -

1) Nested categories

2) Products and manufacturers listings

3) Default home page

Hi, thank you, I appreciate it's hard to know what everyone's modified index.php will look like. I will have a go at your suggestions and look at the Drop On Top folder. I've found it's the same for the google_breadcrumb_installation. In catalog/includes/header.php, I cannot find:

<td class="headerNavigation">  <?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></td>

It will probably take me some time as my code looks entirely different but hey ho I'm sure I'll get there in the end!

Thanks though!

Sorry I have a few further questions I was hoping you could possibly help me on?

I've added the optional extra: Category/Manufacturer Descriptions & H1 Page Titles, however cannot see any difference in the page title style. You mention to; "Then go to your categories and manufactures to add some nice keyword rich SEO text." Would you please tell me where I would add this information? In the individual .php files? Sorry for my in-experience.

As for the Google breadcrumb extra, I can only find "<?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?>" in my product_info.php. Would it be ok to edit this file instead of header.php?

Finally, my homepage (index.php) only appears to be picking up 4 keywords (probably because there is hardly any text on that page) so would you reccommend trying to make further edits to this file as I've done for categories & manufacturers?

Thank you very much, I look forward to your reply.

Sorry I have a few further questions I was hoping you could possibly help me on?

I've added the optional extra: Category/Manufacturer Descriptions & H1 Page Titles, however cannot see any difference in the page title style.

The page title should now be produced by KissMT and the text in an H1 tag.

You mention to; "Then go to your categories and manufactures to add some nice keyword rich SEO text." Would you please tell me where I would add this information? In the individual .php files? Sorry for my in-experience.

KissMT reads the first 155(ish) characters of the text of your e.g. product description, this description you add via admin the first 155(ish) characters should therefore be keyword rich ( but human readable ).

As for the Google breadcrumb extra, I can only find "<?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?>" in my product_info.php. Would it be ok to edit this file instead of header.php?

Yes KissMT simply replaces the existing breadcrumb. Just make sure you fit it into the html correctly.

Finally, my homepage (index.php) only appears to be picking up 4 keywords (probably because there is hardly any text on that page) so would you reccommend trying to make further edits to this file as I've done for categories & manufacturers?

Thank you very much, I look forward to your reply.

there is no way for KissMT to extract keywords for the homepage as there is no dynamic data, the meta data for this is therefore contained in the language files, please read the instructions "getting_the_most_out_of_the_base_install.html"

The page title should now be produced by KissMT and the text in an H1 tag.

Without sounding too dumb, is the page title the text in the browser tab? I of course know how to change the style of the title text on the page itself (which i don't want to make any larger as it looks fine just as it is), but feel like im missing out on this cool benefit if that is the case?

Thanks for you other help. I am nearly there! :lol:

Edited by Lucy Fox

Hi, hoping this to be my last hiccup >_<

In the google breadcrumb extra, editing the code to breadcrumb.php (basically adding in the <li>) messes up the layout of my breadcrumb trail in categories and manufacturers giving them a bullet point and spread out like a list. Product info's breadcrumb trails are fine though, staying all on one line with no bullet points) Does this sound odd?

Hi, hoping this to be my last hiccup >_<

In the google breadcrumb extra, editing the code to breadcrumb.php (basically adding in the <li>) messes up the layout of my breadcrumb trail in categories and manufacturers giving them a bullet point and spread out like a list. Product info's breadcrumb trails are fine though, staying all on one line with no bullet points) Does this sound odd?

For the breadcrumb extra to work you have to add ALL the parts .. in the stylesheet ..

#breadcrumb {

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

}

#breadcrumb li {

display:inline;

}

The changes to classes/breadcrumb

And the on page html

<ul id="breadcrumb"><?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></ul>

Without sounding too dumb, is the page title the text in the browser tab? I of course know how to change the style of the title text on the page itself (which i don't want to make any larger as it looks fine just as it is), but feel like im missing out on this cool benefit if that is the case?

Thanks for you other help. I am nearly there! :lol:

The KissMT page title should be more appropriate than standard osCommerce, the page title of any site should be in H1 tags, if H1 is too big then restyle it with the style sheet.

The "cool" is that Google and friends recognise the H1 tag as your stating the main title/keyword(s) of the page.

For the breadcrumb extra to work you have to add ALL the parts .. in the stylesheet ..

#breadcrumb {

padding: 0;

margin: 0;

}

#breadcrumb li {

display:inline;

}

The changes to classes/breadcrumb

And the on page html

<ul id="breadcrumb"><?php echo $breadcrumb->trail(' » '); ?></ul>

I have done all of that I promise...It looks fine on the products, just not on the categories & manufacurers listings...I will keep looking for another file to edit as my shop is pretty modified.

I have done all of that I promise...It looks fine on the products, just not on the categories & manufacurers listings...I will keep looking for another file to edit as my shop is pretty modified.

Sounds like those files are perhaps adding style to ul/li

Sounds like those files are perhaps adding style to ul/li

It looks absolutely fine if I remove the first <li> in the breadcrumb text. I tried that, because i noticed there were two <li> lables and only one closing </li>.

Would this make any difference if I removed the first one? :blush: (im talking about the breadcrumb.php coding - sorry if I'm confusing)

Edited by Lucy Fox

It looks absolutely fine if I remove the first <li> in the breadcrumb text. I tried that, because i noticed there were two <li> lables and only one closing </li>.

Would this make any difference if I removed the first one? :blush: (im talking about the breadcrumb.php coding - sorry if I'm confusing)

Must be a fault in there somewhere <li></li> should match

Love the contribution especially category/manufacturers option.

My Qu is where is it that I modify the arrangement the titles that show on my categories and product_info pages so that they suit my industry a bit better.

Sorry if it was asked before but I couldn't find it.

All I really want is to change the title on product_info from (product name - category by manufacturer - Desc) to (product name by manufacturer - category at storename (then maybe desc))

On the categories pages I have (category - desc) to change to (category at store name - desc)

This is more for the branding side of things more than seo but it all counts.

Love the contribution especially category/manufacturers option.

My Qu is where is it that I modify the arrangement the titles that show on my categories and product_info pages so that they suit my industry a bit better.

Sorry if it was asked before but I couldn't find it.

All I really want is to change the title on product_info from (product name - category by manufacturer - Desc) to (product name by manufacturer - category at storename (then maybe desc))

On the categories pages I have (category - desc) to change to (category at store name - desc)

This is more for the branding side of things more than seo but it all counts.

There is no "super simple" solution to this .. you would need to open up ..

kiss_meta_tags/modules/product_info.php then change the order that $leading_values is built .. the code that does this is ..

$leading_values = KissMT::init()->entities( trim( $product_results['products_name'] ), $decode = true );
     if ( tep_not_null( $product_results['products_model'] ) ) {  
        $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . trim( $product_results['products_model'] );
     } 
     $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . implode( '[-separator-]', $breadcrumb );
     if ( tep_not_null( $product_results['manufacturers_name'] ) ) { 
       $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . sprintf( KISSMT_BRAND_TEXT, trim( $product_results['manufacturers_name'] ) );
     }

kiss_meta_tags/modules/product_info.php then change the order that $leading_values is built .. the code that does this is ..

$leading_values = KissMT::init()->entities( trim( $product_results['products_name'] ), $decode = true );
        $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . trim( $product_results['products_model'] );
     } 
       $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . sprintf( KISSMT_BRAND_TEXT, trim( $product_results['manufacturers_name'] ) );
     }

Thanks I was looking at that last night but had to check first before I mess with things.

I get into it now.

} 
     }

This is what I got that seems to work for what I want with my non-existent php skills.

$leading_values .= '[ ]' . sprintf( KISSMT_BRAND_TEXT, trim( $product_results['manufacturers_name'] ) );
     } 
       $leading_values .= '[-separator-]' . trim( $product_results['products_model'] . ( KISSMT_HOMEPAGE_TITLE ) );
     }

Also I have trying to use a pipebar/vertical bar as my separator but without luck, is there any reason why it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks